Serious Decision Making Help Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashland, Oregon
I contacted Richard Fife because I am interested in getting a Geochelone pardalis babcocki, and he seems like the breeder out of my dreams. (Anyone else dealt with him?)

But I don't know what to do. I feel kind of rushed, and I am still really sad about Delaware... But I don't want to wait too long, and I really did always want another tortoise. I think I'm ready, and these babies look really exciting.

Anyway, he sent me these pictures:
Tort 4:
mail

Tort 2:
mail

Tort 3:
mail

Tort 3 or 4 is taken already (the person just hasn't decided yet) but I really like number 2. But I wish I could see their faces!
I think I have to decide really soon or they will all be taken. What should I do? Who would you pick? Or would you wait?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Kayti...

I am not seeing your pics, however Richard is the consummate professional...former Curator of Reptiles at the Gladys Porter Zoo (Brownsville, TX). I maybe a little biased (since I acquired Aladar from him), but he truly knows his craft. Hope this helps and good luck. Keep us updated on your progress.

Dean

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Oops! I'm sort of flustered this morning, and my internet is being screwy. Can you see them now?

#2:
tort2.jpg

#3:
tort3.jpg

#4:
tort4.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Richard is great. I highly recommend him. A new tortoise decision should never be rushed. Leopards are common, easy to find and Richard breeds lots of them every year. Everyone is different, but I mull these things over for months or years. I've been wanting a herd of Burmese Blacks for many years, but until I have it set in my head that I can give them ideal conditions for every stage of their life, I'm not doing it. What's holding me back is that they can't take too much summer heat and it gets VERY hot here. I'm mulling over an indoor air conditioned retreat for summer, kind of the opposite of people with sulcatas in winter in the frozen North.

My point is: If you are not absolutely, 100% sure, without any doubt, let these ones go and put your deposit down for Richard's next batch. I know he's got more coming.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Your compassion (and despair) over the Delaware situation will make you a GREAT mom to whichever of these you choose... frankly, leopards aren't my thing (I'm solely devoted to Sulcatas), but any of them look nice to me. Don't feel rushed, just dive in and get what you want...ask him to cut you a deal for 2.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
The babies are stunning!!
I agree with Tom to take your time in making your decision. If it doesn't feel right to you to get another right now, then just wait a while! Like Tom said, there will be plenty more leopard hatchlings in the future!
But if you think you're ready then go for it! (I'm such a big help ;))

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:
Richard is great. I highly recommend him. A new tortoise decision should never be rushed. Leopards are common, easy to find and Richard breeds lots of them every year. Everyone is different, but I mull these things over for months or years. I've been wanting a herd of Burmese Blacks for many years, but until I have it set in my head that I can give them ideal conditions for every stage of their life, I'm not doing it. What's holding me back is that they can't take too much summer heat and it gets VERY hot here. I'm mulling over an indoor air conditioned retreat for summer, kind of the opposite of people with sulcatas in winter in the frozen North.

My point is: If you are not absolutely, 100% sure, without any doubt, let these ones go and put your deposit down for Richard's next batch. I know he's got more coming.

I ALWAYS act on the moment...case in point ALADAR! I would NEVER even dream of spending what I spent on him for any tortoise...but that look was one-of-a-kind...and I had to have him, plain and simple. The only other breed I would consider would be Galaps...but way too expensive and they'd be target practice for the sulcatas...so I'm afraid that I'm a sulcata lifer:D

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
I think you're right... it's just so rare when nothing is stopping me from getting a reptile, and I'm anxious about loosing my chance. :rolleyes: (Complicated living situation).
I know that's not a good reason for getting a leopard. That's not my reason, it's just a factor. I have been thinking about it for awhile, and I know I can handle exactly what I'd be getting into...

I always have indecision... but maybe I'm having a bit too much indecision? My animal confidence has really plummeted lately.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I actually picked my baby out of that same pile of leopards :) I went with number 1 (which is why his picture isn't in your pile) but number 2 was my next favorite. Really though, they're all beautiful. Either way, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hatchlings can be more difficult to start with. it sounds like you recently lost a tort.. if it was young, then why not look at rescuing an older one?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Laura, normally I would agree, but Delaware died because her lung burst. Kayti took her to the vet and did everything that she could to save her.

I do not feel that Delaware's death was anything Kayti could have prevented, nor was it caused by sub par care. If Kayti feels she is ready for another tort, I trust her judgment.

M

Maggie Cummings

I just wanted to say that Tom's advice is spot on! And you should listen to him...

but hatchlings are very fragile and hard to raise, you might think about a juvenile still young and small but tougher...

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
Thanks for all the advice guys... just got off the phone with Fife, my tortoise is arriving Tuesday!!

South FL Katie - Our torts will be siblings!

I made the right decision, I think :) I just needed a little encouragement.
I just realized I've never actually bought a reptile over the internet before... the most alive thing I've ever had shipped to me is a box full of roaches. He wanted to ship tomorrow (!!!) but I have 4 papers, (over 20 pages total) of various essays due by Thursday, so I went with Monday instead.
I am going to be a nervous wreck. I am a nervous wreck.

I'm not sure if I learned anything from Delaware's death. I still don't think it could have been her water bowl. And I am definitely much more paranoid and obsessive about my Russians now. I actually thought a lot about getting an older Russian instead of another baby, but I want to finish college before I have pets that cannot be kept perfectly content indoors. And I just love raising the little ones and watching them grow. I am going to be beyond careful with this new baby. Everything will be perfect.

If I were giving advice to someone else, I would definitely say to go with an older tortoise. But I don't think what happened to Delaware was the result of something I did, or could have been prevented.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Congrats Kayti! When Aladar arrived, I was blown away at how perfectly secure he was packed. Enjoy and keep us updated on the little Leopard's progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.