SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hydrometer

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
So I bought these wireless Thermometer/Hydrometer sensors that hook to my phone via bluetooth and run on an app. I also bought the wifi connector for them so i don't have to be in the room or near by to check temps. So far I am pleased. I had to calibrate the temps using my temp gun because they were off a little when i set them up but now they are working like a charm. Whole thing costs a pretty penny but I can check the temps and humidity for all my reptiles and my mouse (his sensor is actually room temps so this includes the dogs) from anywhere. I will let you guys know more as time goes by, because this is only day 2.
P.S. Torterra's humidity is high because she just got sprayed down and we are still working on regulating Macy's humidity.Image-1.jpg Image-2.jpg

Destben

Kansas
So I bought these wireless Thermometer/Hydrometer sensors that hook to my phone via bluetooth and run on an app. I also bought the wifi connector for them so i don't have to be in the room or near by to check temps. So far I am pleased. I had to calibrate the temps using my temp gun because they were off a little when i set them up but now they are working like a charm. Whole thing costs a pretty penny but I can check the temps and humidity for all my reptiles and my mouse (his sensor is actually room temps so this includes the dogs) from anywhere. I will let you guys know more as time goes by, because this is only day 2.
P.S. Torterra's humidity is high because she just got sprayed down and we are still working on regulating Macy's humidity.View attachment 232489 View attachment 232490
Also it alerts me if temps fall out of the proper range I set for each sensor.

Destben

Kansas
So far I am pleased the only downside is it might not be calibrated correctly when first set up so it can be off a little but you can fix that easily

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I have been using these for a few years and I like them. Calibrating them for temperature is relatively easy (put them in a plastic bag and submerge in ice water.....set to 32.

The humidity calibration is difficult unless you buy a kit. I have them in all of my enclosures and incubators. Really nice little units. I think they get a little inaccurate when they approach 100% humidity, but thats not a major concern.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I too have been using these for a few years now. Really like the graph to see how temps are maintained over a period, not just when I check. I also like seeing temps and humidity when I am away to be sure everything is running as it should.

And... yes, they are sensitive to condensing humidity, and if condensation gets inside, it will read high humidity constantly. But almost all digital units where you put the unit in the enclosure is that way. I have had to open some up and let them dry out. Seemed to correct it nicely.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Its sounds really awesome. Maybe my next Mothersday /birthday combined present from my family. [emoji1] Thanks for sharing, didn't know you could get this.
Do you get different brands? And if so which one do you have?

Destben

Kansas
Its sounds really awesome. Maybe my next Mothersday /birthday combined present from my family. [emoji1] Thanks for sharing, didn't know you could get this.
Do you get different brands? And if so which one do you have?

SensorPush is what I have it’s the only one I found (I believe there are more tho) and you have to buy the sensors and the WiFi connector separately which is a pain. I got mine from amazon.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
SensorPush is what I have it’s the only one I found (I believe there are more tho) and you have to buy the sensors and the WiFi connector separately which is a pain. I got mine from amazon.
Thanks for responding. I see there is a Temp Stick WiFi Temperature & Humidity Sensor on Amazon. It does not however ship to South Africa. It has the wifi built in. So nothing else needed. Anyway a mute point for me. Lol The one you have is the second best on the list according to www.weatherstationadvisor.com. So not a bad choice.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
One consideration is that the SensorPush does not require the separate WiFi bridge to work. They come out of the box operating on Bluetooth, and reading directly to your mobile phone. I used several for a year before I decided to get the WiFi bridge (it also was not available when I first got mine). You simply have to be within 100 ft or so to get updated readings. If you are out of range, all readings are stored in the unit for up to 20 days, and will automatically upload to your device as soon as you get in range again - so no monitoring data is ever lost. It also gives true real-time readings as data is recorded every 10 seconds. The Temp Stick only records a reading every 5 minutes at the quickest setting. that's fine for ongoing monitoring, but cumbersome for playing with new temp settings and waiting 5 minutes for a new reading.

The WiFi bridge simply allows the SensorPush readings to be WiFi accessible - as the bridge reads the Bluetooth and then reports the readings through WiFi which is then available anywhere you can get a WiFi signal.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
One consideration is that the SensorPush does not require the separate WiFi bridge to work. They come out of the box operating on Bluetooth, and reading directly to your mobile phone. I used several for a year before I decided to get the WiFi bridge (it also was not available when I first got mine). You simply have to be within 100 ft or so to get updated readings. If you are out of range, all readings are stored in the unit for up to 20 days, and will automatically upload to your device as soon as you get in range again - so no monitoring data is ever lost. It also gives true real-time readings as data is recorded every 10 seconds. The Temp Stick only records a reading every 5 minutes at the quickest setting. that's fine for ongoing monitoring, but cumbersome for playing with new temp settings and waiting 5 minutes for a new reading.

The WiFi bridge simply allows the SensorPush readings to be WiFi accessible - as the bridge reads the Bluetooth and then reports the readings through WiFi which is then available anywhere you can get a WiFi signal.

Mark, do these have what is essentially a remote probe? Seems like there must be some sort of humidity corruptible stuff in that blue box that is the probe. I have burned through more humidity senors than I care to talk about, so far I think they are all crap. Remote probe or not.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Sounds like the sensorpush is a good choice then.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Thanks for sharing this. It really sounds like a good thing to have. And the sensorpush is actually the better one to have.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
@Will The unit is the sensor - so you do place the whole unit in the enclosure or incubator. And, yes, that does leave it exposed to condensation. Any hygrometer is problematic in that regard. Most will note in the specs that they are to be placed with non-condensing humidity. I think the problem we have is really aggravated when we place a cooler unit inside our enclosure, (we take a sensor from our 70° room and place it in a 85° humid enclosure) or place it where it tends to be a bit cooler than the warm humid air it reads. The side of the enclosure that is not too well insulated is a great example of that.

I have had to dry a few out after a year or more inside a high (over 90%) enclosure/incubator. These units are very small, and do have a back that you can pop off to replace the battery. That also allows me to leave it open and dry it out if I start getting a steady 100%+ humidity reading. I have 8 SensorPush I currently use. All operated for at least a year before I even had any high humidity reading issues.

All things considered, I am still of the opinion the SensorPush is the best I have found for what I want to do. It is amazing what you learn when you see actual temps and humidity graphed over a day or week, instead of what you though you had just looking at your reading when you physically check or viewing HI / LOW for the day.

@Destben - I actually feel the separate WiFi gateway is a plus with SensorPush. The individual units are $49 vs $159 for Temp Stick. The gateway for SensorPush is $99, but you only have to buy it once. So for one WiFi connected unit, you are paying $148 vs $159 for Temp Stick, Once you have the gateway, every additional unit connects to the same gateway. So, a second unit is then only $49, and a third, and fourth, etc. Every single unit for Temp stick is the $159.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@Will The unit is the sensor - so you do place the whole unit in the enclosure or incubator. And, yes, that does leave it exposed to condensation. Any hygrometer is problematic in that regard. Most will note in the specs that they are to be placed with non-condensing humidity. I think the problem we have is really aggravated when we place a cooler unit inside our enclosure, (we take a sensor from our 70° room and place it in a 85° humid enclosure) or place it where it tends to be a bit cooler than the warm humid air it reads. The side of the enclosure that is not too well insulated is a great example of that.

I have had to dry a few out after a year or more inside a high (over 90%) enclosure/incubator. These units are very small, and do have a back that you can pop off to replace the battery. That also allows me to leave it open and dry it out if I start getting a steady 100%+ humidity reading. I have 8 SensorPush I currently use. All operated for at least a year before I even had any high humidity reading issues.

All things considered, I am still of the opinion the SensorPush is the best I have found for what I want to do. It is amazing what you learn when you see actual temps and humidity graphed over a day or week, instead of what you though you had just looking at your reading when you physically check or viewing HI / LOW for the day.

@Destben - I actually feel the separate WiFi gateway is a plus with SensorPush. The individual units are $49 vs $159 for Temp Stick. The gateway for SensorPush is $99, but you only have to buy it once. So for one WiFi connected unit, you are paying $148 vs $159 for Temp Stick, Once you have the gateway, every additional unit connects to the same gateway. So, a second unit is then only $49, and a third, and fourth, etc. Every single unit for Temp stick is the $159.
Thanks much Mark, that is a telling narrative.