Sense of Security. (fogger)

originquilt

Location (City and/or State)
Irvine
Just an interesting observation - I am not sure if it's specific to my baby, Tiddles, who's 6 months old at the moment or it's common. He hides majority of the time like a lot of the hatchlings do. However whenever the fogger goes off and the whole enclosure becomes super foggy that's when he's the most active - eating, walking around trying to knock over the camera, you name it. Not sure if it's because he would feel more secure when it's foggy and he thinks no "predator" would spot him under the fog. However as soon as the fogger stops, he would go back to his favorite hide out spot and hides again until the fogger goes off again the next time...

Capture.PNG

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have also found that my Sulcata comes out when it’s raining, or when I used to spray his enclosure. I believe they also enjoy the moisture, and it may be instinctual for them since they’re born during monsoon season in the wild.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have also found that my Sulcata comes out when it’s raining, or when I used to spray his enclosure. I believe they also enjoy the moisture, and it may be instinctual for them since they’re born during monsoon season in the wild.

Yep, as does our Sully. We had a massive thunderstorm the other late evening. Sully out walking about, like in a shower.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they do feel more secure with cover. Think of them in the wilds. They would be walking among the brush and tall weeds/grass and their predators come from above.
Add plants to their home in abundance and they/he would probably roam more often.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Two things happen when the fogger comes on:
1) It gets cooler
2) The humidity increases.

Either one on these conditions make my Redfoot group more active living outside.
The temperature being lower at dawn and dusk and the humidity getting higher, as in a Summer rain storm. The rest of the day is spent mostly hiding.
I would think that the behavior you mentioned is relatively normal.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
This observation definitely coincides with all the modern thinking that in the wild, hatchling tortoises spend most of their time hiding in the substrate and only come out and forage during high relative humidity conditions, most likely during rain events and in early morning and early evening. Your fogger is replicating those natural conditions.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Just an interesting observation - I am not sure if it's specific to my baby, Tiddles, who's 6 months old at the moment or it's common. He hides majority of the time like a lot of the hatchlings do. However whenever the fogger goes off and the whole enclosure becomes super foggy that's when he's the most active - eating, walking around trying to knock over the camera, you name it. Not sure if it's because he would feel more secure when it's foggy and he thinks no "predator" would spot him under the fog. However as soon as the fogger stops, he would go back to his favorite hide out spot and hides again until the fogger goes off again the next time...

View attachment 279648
Where did you get your fogger? I have never heard of anyone else having one for their Sully. Would that be helpful for my guy?

originquilt

Irvine
My Tiddles is a Burmese Star not a Sully but I believe all species need higher humidity when they are babies than when they are fully grown. I got my fogger from Amazon. I had a manual one but later on bought this one with timer and app control and smart device definitely works better than the traditional one. Here is the product page on Amazon along with my review.

IMG_4865.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
great info and great review... how big is your enclosure?

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
My Tiddles is a Burmese Star not a Sully but I believe all species need higher humidity when they are babies than when they are fully grown. I got my fogger from Amazon. I had a manual one but later on bought this one with timer and app control and smart device definitely works better than the traditional one. Here is the product page on Amazon along with my review.

View attachment 279843

View attachment 279844
thank You for them info

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
So the fogger is a nice size for it then... definitely going to pick one up

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
....In a correctly set up CLOSED CHAMBER enclosure, a fogger is not needed.
I'm not a fan of the extra complexity either.
But this is only my experience/suggestion.

Reactions: Tom

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

View attachment 279648
the fogger in this photo seems quite small but the ad looks quite large ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If you do get something with a large tank at least 1 liter. Also get a humidity control so it can monintor and turn the unit on/off as needed. AND LASTLY--- Distilled water only- they need the cleanest since they make a vapor. Anything else and it will clog the machine and die!