Self-soaking time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, UK
Today my little Sulcata finally decided to take a long bath in the water dish!!!
Usually she just crosses it but she never stops in it but this morning she spent 15 minutes in there!!! I am really happy she finally decides that she likes water!!! :D

Have a good day everyone!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's good. However you do soak her yourself, correct? Don't just leave it up to them. Depending on age, she should be soaked every day to three-four times a week.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
I do soak her every morning for 20 minutes!
Unfortunately I don't know her age. The lady who gave her to me told me she is 1.5 years old... but she is way too small to be that age (she is more 1mo old dimension!!!)

wellington said:
That's good. However you do soak her yourself, correct? Don't just leave it up to them. Depending on age, she should be soaked every day to three-four times a week.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
And you DIDN'T get a picture I take it?! C'mon!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can post a recent picture, weight, and length, bottom shell from tail to head, shell only, Our sulcata experts may be able to give you a better age idea.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Here she is!!!!

6.5 cm long and 67 grams
IMG_0956.jpg

Very active!!!!
IMG_0958.JPG

She does eat!!!
IMG_0972.JPG

This is her enclosure 1.1 x 0.9 meters:
IMG_0964.jpg

I let her explore my living room for 30 min to 1 hr every morning and when it is sunny I open the french door so she can get real sun even inside!! She also has a Mercury vapor Lamp from morning till 8 pm (I am in UK and there is light till 10 pm right now!!)
I fed her with greens (sprinkled with ground hay), compressed grass/hay (she doesn't really like it but I mix it with komodo tortoise food) and komodo tortoise food (we don't have mazuri!!). Now I am growing mixed weeds to vary her diet! Once a week I give her vitamin/calcium supplement and she has a chopped cuttlebone as well!
The substrate is a mix of tortoise substrate (top soil and play sand with a little limestone grit) and coco soil that I spray with water every morning to moist it!
When I got her she was 52/54 grams so she is gaining weight but she is really small to be 1.5 years old!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Carlotta84 said:
Here she is!!!!

6.5 cm long and 67 grams

Very active!!!!

She does eat!!!

This is her enclosure 1.1 x 0.9 meters:

I let her explore my living room for 30 min to 1 hr every morning and when it is sunny I open the french door so she can get real sun even inside!! She also has a Mercury vapor Lamp from morning till 8 pm (I am in UK and there is light till 10 pm right now!!)
I fed her with greens (sprinkled with ground hay), compressed grass/hay (she doesn't really like it but I mix it with komodo tortoise food) and komodo tortoise food (we don't have mazuri!!). Now I am growing mixed weeds to vary her diet! Once a week I give her vitamin/calcium supplement and she has a chopped cuttlebone as well!
The substrate is a mix of tortoise substrate (top soil and play sand with a little limestone grit) and coco soil that I spray with water every morning to moist it!
When I got her she was 52/54 grams so she is gaining weight but she is really small to be 1.5 years old!!!!

From the weight, combined with the lack of pyramiding (which means she can't have been too nutrient-deprived), I'd be surprised if she was even a year old.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Looks like a decent setup, except for the light. What type of bulb is that?Please.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Hi!
The lamp in the picture is not the one that I am currently using!!! She has a mercury vapor bulb to provide her uv as well as heat!! But was too big to fit in the picture so I remove it to take the shot!! The lamp in the picture is the one I use to have some more light and heat when needed!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long have you had her?

There is no way to tell the age. It could be a 1.5 year old that has hardly grown, or it could be an 8 week old that has grown quite well.

Either way, she looks good, and I love it when I catch them self soaking. :)

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
Tom said:
How long have you had her?

There is no way to tell the age. It could be a 1.5 year old that has hardly grown, or it could be an 8 week old that has grown quite well.

Either way, she looks good, and I love it when I catch them self soaking. :)

I have her since the 16th of May... a little more than one month!!
She was 64 grams when she arrived and now she is 76 grams...
She seems to be healthy to me... but I am not an expert!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
12 grams in a month is pretty decent growth. That is a good indicator that things are okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.