Seizures

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Yes he moves normally most of the time. I personally haven’t seen one yet as I am picking him up in a week or so. The rescue did tell me that you can tell one is coming on because he gets a burst of energy and runs around is pen in a circle.
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what the univ finds. (My educational background is neuro.)

They'll want to see as much video as you can capture of the episodes and a comprehensive description of his behavior the rest of the time.

Although he may find touch grounding, I'd caution against touching his face. Keep your fingers clear of any potential spastic jaw involvement, and take care to not be knocked over. Maybe just a light downward pressure on his shell as you stand to one side. If things seem overly violent or stressful, try keeping a towel nearby to drop over his head...cutting the light can trigger calm.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I watched the video a few times and then saw @Tom 's reply. That is exactly what I was thinking. If you look at the very last frame of the video, you can see the abnormal 4th vertebral scute and that it is sunken a bit. MBD. Also it looks like it was injured there. Hard to see but that scute looks like its had trauma. That would be what look like a hit to the spine. Combined with MBD and calcium deficiency could be what is going on.

Does not look like a seizure.

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I would stop all medications--they may be doing more harm than good as most (in particular CBD) have not been evaluated for safety in tortoises. I would start the regimen suggested by Tom immediately. I would find someone who is experienced with tortoise veterinary care to do a thorough physical exam.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Just looks like he's trying to itch his Plastron to me.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I watched the video a few times and then saw @Tom 's reply. That is exactly what I was thinking. If you look at the very last frame of the video, you can see the abnormal 4th vertebral scute and that it is sunken a bit. MBD. Also it looks like it was injured there. Hard to see but that scute looks like its had trauma. That would be what look like a hit to the spine. Combined with MBD and calcium deficiency could be what is going on.

Does not look like a seizure.
I agree, looks like the whole 4th scute is missing. See alot of pink. Need to get his to a experience Vet, you would thing they would of address that proplem first. Feel bad for the Tortoise

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Just looks like he's trying to itch his Plastron to me.
Yeah. Wonder what his underside looks like. I would hypothesis many things. But if it was in a s**t zoo, then I can see them righting it off on seizures and looking no further. I see that tort improving movement with Toms mentioned care above. He still has so much life to live!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Yeah. Wonder what his underside looks like. I would hypothesis many things. But if it was in a s**t zoo, then I can see them righting it off on seizures and looking no further. I see that tort improving movement with Toms mentioned care above. He still has so much life to live!
Easy to say something natural happened then take blame for the damage that they have done.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Easy to say something natural happened then take blame for the damage that they have done.
Tried to take a screenshot of his injury, best I could do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200308-132036_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200308-132036_Samsung Internet.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 28

Kipley

Seattle, WA
No, I've never come across a tortoise with seizures, sorry. But glad the oil seems to be helping. I bought some for pain in my thumb and it didn't do a thing for me.
We've had amazing results using CBD/Cannabis oils with Greyhounds. We took in an 11 year old with severe arthritis that wasn't able to go up steps or run and was being treated with glucosamine and tramadol for pain. Within 6 weeks she was off the tramadol and running with our other Greyhounds.
We had another Greyhound with a seizure disorder on phenobarbital which was making him lethargic. We were able to control his seizures with whole plant oil (CBD with some THC, legal here in WA) and get him off the phenobarbital.

I can't imagine trying to determine a dose for a tortoise or any reptile! Best of luck and glad to hear this is helping.

Kipley

Seattle, WA
It looks like a petit mal seizure to me. The Greyhound we had started with petit mal - trance like staring that progressed to zombie like walking and staring - just totally disconnected, eventually he had two grand mal seizures which were the stereotypical shaking uncontrollably, slamming his head against the ground - like we expect a seizure to look like.
In humans petit mal seizures aren't always typical, and they weren't in our Greyhound either. I suspect the same with tortoises?
Interesting.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
My sister bought and used CBD oil???Hell musta froze over...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...and HA!

CBG is better for pain, CBD works for my anxiety, PTSD. (At least to sleep)

I feel for that tortoise, hopefully you get him out of the rescue!
I agree CBD should stop for sure! get the T5 light on him and feed him like a king :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
CBG is better for pain, CBD works for my anxiety, PTSD. (At least to sleep)

I feel for that tortoise, hopefully you get him out of the rescue!
I agree CBD should stop for sure! get the T5 light on him and feed him like a king :)

Please don't misunderstand my sentiment...my sis is beyond 80 yrs old and I am 74...she is tough, straight as an arrow, never approved of my love affair with drugs and simply a good person... I started smokin weed at about 10 yrs old...the only time I didn't smoke weed in my life was when I became an OTR truck driver...she has never approved of my antics...so to have my older respected sister admit to trying CBD oil AND then to freaking post that on a public forum was simply too funny not to laugh. As a matter of fact I reread that post this am and laughed out loud again!!!Hahahahahahah LOL lmao....roflmao....hahahahahahah well...maybe I am sorta getting carried away...NOT...hahahahahahahahahaha and HA!

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Please don't misunderstand my sentiment...my sis is beyond 80 yrs old and I am 74...she is tough, straight as an arrow, never approved of my love affair with drugs and simply a good person... I started smokin weed at about 10 yrs old...the only time I didn't smoke weed in my life was when I became an OTR truck driver...she has never approved of my antics...so to have my older respected sister admit to trying CBD oil AND then to freaking post that on a public forum was simply too funny not to laugh. As a matter of fact I reread that post this am and laughed out loud again!!!Hahahahahahah LOL lmao....roflmao....hahahahahahah well...maybe I am sorta getting carried away...NOT...hahahahahahahahahaha and HA!
Love as only a sister could share! ??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Love as only a sister could share! ??
Yep! That's true...and my hardhearted sister would help me if I asked, even when she is mad at me...we are so different, and I mean at opposite ends of the spectrum...but we have remained close friends all these years, she has helped me constantly thru out the years with advice on my torts and birds...but I learned to NEVER mention my speeding tickets...or my jail arrests which I think are funny and which pisses her off big time...(oh lord, lmao again)

rrhoblit

California
I agree, looks like the whole 4th scute is missing. See alot of pink. Need to get his to a experience Vet, you would thing they would of address that proplem first. Feel bad for the Tortoise
Yes there is a severe indentation there. The previous owners had two and painted one red and the other blue. The pink you see is the red paint that the rescue had been slowly buffing off