Seeking input re: outdoor Hermann's tortoise enclosure

Tzav

Location (City and/or State)
Campbell, CA
Hello! We are hoping to add a Hermann's tortoise to our family in the near future. I would like to build an outdoor enclosure. I've been doing lots of research and have come across some conflicting information! Would love any advice/input on what I have in mind. I live in San Jose, CA.

1. Would a raised garden bed on wheels be suitable? I was thinking 7 ft x 3 ft, with a top constructed of hardware cloth. Would that be large enough for an adult Hermann's?
2. I was thinking 22 inches tall for the sides, as I read that 4-5 inches of substrate is recommended, and that the enclosure walls should be18 inches tall. (Does the 18 inch wall height recommendation take the substrate depth into consideration? So maybe 22 inch tall walls is more than needed?)
3. What would you recommend as a heat source in the tortoise house? Overnight temps can get a bit low, so I think we'll need to include some sort of heat source.
4. Do you recommend lining the raised garden bed with pond liner or something else, to preserve the wood? The bed will probably be constructed out of redwood.

Thanks so much for reading!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! We are hoping to add a Hermann's tortoise to our family in the near future. I would like to build an outdoor enclosure. I've been doing lots of research and have come across some conflicting information! Would love any advice/input on what I have in mind. I live in San Jose, CA.

1. Would a raised garden bed on wheels be suitable? I was thinking 7 ft x 3 ft, with a top constructed of hardware cloth. Would that be large enough for an adult Hermann's?
2. I was thinking 22 inches tall for the sides, as I read that 4-5 inches of substrate is recommended, and that the enclosure walls should be18 inches tall. (Does the 18 inch wall height recommendation take the substrate depth into consideration? So maybe 22 inch tall walls is more than needed?)
3. What would you recommend as a heat source in the tortoise house? Overnight temps can get a bit low, so I think we'll need to include some sort of heat source.
4. Do you recommend lining the raised garden bed with pond liner or something else, to preserve the wood? The bed will probably be constructed out of redwood.

Thanks so much for reading!
Hello and welcome. All of this is answered here, but I'll answer by the numbers too.

1. No too small for an adult.
2. 18 Inches should be tall enough.
3. RHP set on a thermostat.
4. I wouldn't use wood. It can't stand up to the needed constant moisture. I'd make th enclosure on the ground.

Questions are welcome! :)

Tzav

Campbell, CA
Hello and welcome. All of this is answered here, but I'll answer by the numbers too.

1. No too small for an adult.
2. 18 Inches should be tall enough.
3. RHP set on a thermostat.
4. I wouldn't use wood. It can't stand up to the needed constant moisture. I'd make th enclosure on the ground.

Questions are welcome! :)
Thank you so much for your reply to my post, I really appreciate this information!