Seeking expert advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Just got back from the vet. She is parasite free! Lacking in Vit A and Vit D and of course calcium. Vet did not want to give any supplements since the tort is now getting the proper care.

Of course as I go to leave for the vet the tortoise starts eating:p The vet recommended to wait on the beak trim as it is not interfering with her eating, and she does not need the added stress.

I guess it looks like a long slow recovery but at least she is eating a bit now and on her way!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
so glad she is with you now.. her slowing down, could be due to time of year as well. less light, coller.. thier bobdies start to slow done and get ready for hibernation. He her condition.. i woul dnot allow that. she needs at least 14 hours or light a day to simulate summer light. and warm.
and like what someone else said.. she didnt get this way over night, so it will take time to get better. I think she will. it will just take time.
Sometimes color will stimulate them to eat. red or purple lettuce, squash, pumpkin, tiny piece of strawberry. yellow, red, orange.
good luck!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Sounds like you have a good vet - too many are too quick to want to give injections of vitamins, etc. that can actually make the tortoise sicker than it was initially!

I agree on the beak too, honestly. Let him build up some strength and get settled before you go messing with im too much ;) Oh, and I think "she" is actually "he" as well.

Do you mind sharing the name and address of your vet? I wouldn't mind adding it to the vet list on my rescue site, and we can add it to the vet list here on TFO as well.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I actually found the vet here on the TFO vet list! Here is her information, she was great. She only sees animals by appointment though.

Kimberlee A. Buck, DVM
Frankenmuth-Birch Run Veterinary Hospital
9339 South Gera Rd
Birch Run, Michigan 48415
Tel: (989) 652-6689

She does look like a "he", however she is the only tortoise my male Russian has ever tried to mount, every thing else he rams and bites, even at fake torts. When I first brought her home Steve was out roaming the house and ran right over to her. he immediately climbed on her with both front legs draped around her and fell asleep, lol.

Found a HUGE bunch of dandelion greens at the grocery store! She will b eating good tomorrow, haven't found a tort yet that can resist dandelions!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Mounting between males (or between two females) is a dominant thing, not a sexual thing. I still think you have a boy there ;)

Do you have a Meijer near you? They have a fantastic produce section, and usually have the dandelion greens (the ones you buy in the grocery store are actually a chicory, but still a good food) pretty much year round.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Hmmm, well maybe she is a he then. Boy or girl does not matter to me!

Meijer is where I go the greens at tonight. They were only 1.29 for 4 bunched tied together! Usually they are much smaller. I also bought some endive for her since that is what she picked out of the spring mix I gave this morning.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Unfortunately she did not make it.

I spent the last week doing soakings and spooning food into her mouth, but this evening she was just gone. Poor little thing. It just infuriates me that she was kept so poorly.

Very sad day.

At least the box turtle she came with seems to be doing fine.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is really to bad. I am sorry to hear that. At least you gave her some comfort in her last days.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
herpgirl24 said:
Unfortunately she did not make it.

I spent the last week doing soakings and spooning food into her mouth, but this evening she was just gone. Poor little thing. It just infuriates me that she was kept so poorly.

Very sad day.

At least the box turtle she came with seems to be doing fine.

So sorry to hear this! It sounded like she was fighting to hang in there. You did what you could. Her eyes worried me.... thanks for trying :) It is tough to see any animal treated like this. I did the same thing when I was 16 years old I use to babysit my entire neighborhood. Well I found box turtles in the back of a local pet shop in a 40 gallon fish tank filled to the top- they had nothing to hold on to but each other. I was 16 and knew what was happening. They saw that I noticed this as well. I played stupid and told them I'd pay for all the turtles and take them off their hands...no worries.

No sooner was I racing home (a new driver too) with at least 8 sick box turtles --- in boxes... I called all the kids I babysat for and had them come over to help me care and feed them. We did this for days and days.... most of the turtles survived :)!! ...AND we set them free in large wooded areas with water/creeks.

Herbie (my current box) was special -- she was just not ready to be in the wild. So she's been with me for a long time :) I still remember the box turtle with the puffy eyes-- and she too didn't make it. We worked so hard to save them :) We did good. Even my parents --esp. my mom was awesome and helped...and soon the pet store was forced to shut it's doors-- the best news of all. :)!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.