Seeking advice to build outdoor enclosure for stars!

locado999

5 Year Member
Till now I've been raising 2 stars in an indoor tank. It is very artificial and insufficient. I'm looking forward to build an outdoor enclosure with good sunspot, hide and small plants around.
All suggestions are appreciated.
Regards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you? If you go into your user profile and put in a location, we won't have to ask every time.

What size and age are your stars?

locado999

5 Year Member
Where are you? If you go into your user profile and put in a location, we won't have to ask every time.

What size and age are your stars?
I'm from India. And they are 5 years old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That design looks good. I would make the sides shorter. Sides that tall will block a lot of sunshine.

Kriti

India
That design looks good. I would make the sides shorter. Sides that tall will block a lot of sunshine.
Hi .I too am thinking of making a similar garden like space but one with a mesh door so as to protect my tort from predators. My problem is since I want to grow edible plants in there how will I change the soil to maintain hygiene ? If I grow the plants in small pots I am afraid it wont be that homely and she won't be eating any of them.i cant even grow grass if i have to remove the top layer of soil every week .Or is it not necessary to do that. The enclosure I have in mind is 54× 38 inches and my tort is 7 inches. Could u please suggest something ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi .I too am thinking of making a similar garden like space but one with a mesh door so as to protect my tort from predators. My problem is since I want to grow edible plants in there how will I change the soil to maintain hygiene ? If I grow the plants in small pots I am afraid it wont be that homely and she won't be eating any of them.i cant even grow grass if i have to remove the top layer of soil every week .Or is it not necessary to do that. The enclosure I have in mind is 54× 38 inches and my tort is 7 inches. Could u please suggest something ?
There is no need to change the soil. Spot clean to remove poop and leftover food, and the soil microbes and insects will do the rest.

If you are soaking the tortoise regularly, they will usually poop and pee in the soak, and the enclosure will stay clean.

54x38" is a bit too small for a 7" tortoise. 48x96" would be the minimum I would recommend. If this is for outdoors, even larger would be better.

Kriti

India
There is no need to change the soil. Spot clean to remove poop and leftover food, and the soil microbes and insects will do the rest.

If you are soaking the tortoise regularly, they will usually poop and pee in the soak, and the enclosure will stay clean.

54x38" is a bit too small for a 7" tortoise. 48x96" would be the minimum I would recommend. If this is for outdoors, even larger would be better.
Okay . Will keep the size in mind.Thanks a lot .