seeds and planting food for Herman

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanni

5 Year Member
Hi everybody,
since our little Herman is only getting spring mix here from the store at the moment (everything else outside is not trustworthy, due to pesticides and such) I started a greenhouse where I try to grow grass and daisies and dandelion from seeds for her to snack on eventually.
I did get over initial problems, (being a newby I did probably wrong whatever you could do wrong the first try) but now I have a few questions and I hope somebody can answer:

1. If I have finally my grass high enough for her to stand on and graze - how bis is the danger that she will try to eat the soil? I did use topsoil mixed with sand and so it should be ok for her, right? I also had sometimes spot of white on the soil and sometimes even a bit mildew on the soil? - what big of a problem would that be, if I just take that off from the soil, can I still have her stand on it and walk on it and graze the grass itself?

2. I also grow Dandelions and Daisies and in future all the other flowers that they name on the food sheet thats here somewhere in the forum too - what exactly can they eat? Are they allowed to eat the whole flower or do I have to just put in her bowl the flower buds or just the leaves?

3. Can I just seed out Alfalfa and Ghia on some substrate and then put the seedlings, once they are having a bit green, in her food bowl (with the seeds still attached? ? Or are they just suppose to eat the green and not the seeds?
(I read somewhere, that the seeds might even be poison for Hermans?)

Some general infos additional, my Herman Bubbles is about half a year with me now, she is about 3 inches and just moved in her new and bigger encloser. I have so far repti bark as substrate, on her sleeping and basking spot 92 F around and in the cooler side, its about 75 F, thats where I have her food and a water bowl for her, I also have one in the middle right under a additional basking light.
so far she got offered spring mix, dandelion, aloe once in a while but she doesn't eat it I think), baby spinach.
And she is inside.

Thanks again for your help,
Nanni

Status
Not open for further replies.