Second Successful hatching of Chersina Angulata - Sterantino CAWG

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I wouldn't do that to a real woman. Just a Christina A. look-a-like that someone hatched from an egg, and I bought. :)

You should sell that script to someone who makes B-grade horror movies. Couldn’t be worse than sharknado.

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
L
Hi all,
I am very happy to announce that I have hatched a second Chersina angulata in the US and have 4 fertile, developing eggs that should hatch over the next 4 months. My incubation strategy was largely the same as the first one.
The egg was placed in a closed Tupperware container buried in the same dirt the female nested in. I kept the humidity in the container at 100% for the full term of incubation. I set the container on a high shelf in my tortoise room so it was exposed to the same daily temperature swing as the room and the adult tortoises. 87F during the day and drops to 70F at night.
At 90 days of incubation, I brush the dirt off the top of the egg and I did sand the top of the egg just a bit with some 150 grit paper. I mist the egg every couple days with water to keep the humidity up.
First egg hatched at 135 days, this one hatched at 124. I am using this same method for the other four developing eggs and they all seem to be doing well. I will let you know when they hatch.

View attachment 293927View attachment 293928View attachment 293929View attachment 293930
View attachment 293927View attachment 293928View attachment 293929View attachment 293930

Dan
Looking at your pictures and if I remmeber correctly on your first one as well, yours seem to come out of the egg with a lighter colour than mine did.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
L

Looking at your pictures and if I remmeber correctly on your first one as well, yours seem to come out of the egg with a lighter colour than mine did.
They darken up quick though an the new growth is almost black. At least on the first one - we will see on this one.....different mother.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They darken up quick though an the new growth is almost black. At least on the first one - we will see on this one.....different mother.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I think we need more pictures of these gorgeous little babies so we can fully understand what is being discussed. Lots and lots of pictures of them. Like, many pictures. Copious quantities of pictures. One might even say "volumes" of pictures... :)

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I think we need more pictures of these gorgeous little babies so we can fully understand what is being discussed. Lots and lots of pictures of them. Like, many pictures. Copious quantities of pictures. One might even say "volumes" of pictures... :)
Let me see what I can do about that.....

JThompson

Dan, congratulations on the successful hatching!

Your method for incubation is very similar to what I am using successfully for Kinixys. I have temp data on the fluctuations that they are experiencing re-buried in the lay substrate and the low is 68.8 degrees with the high at 82.0. They are in the same room that my adults are in, but buffered a bit from highs and lows being buried in substrate. Humidity I also keep at 100% ambient. This has been successful with Kinixys zombensis, erosa, homeana and spekii (with multiple nogueyi developing as I type).

It would be great to touch base via phone or email and discuss incubation further. As I help setup a Kinixys Working Group, it would also be great to discuss what you have done with the CAWG.

Email: [email protected]

Keep those hatchlings coming! Bravo!

Jeremy

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Dan, congratulations on the successful hatching!

Your method for incubation is very similar to what I am using successfully for Kinixys. I have temp data on the fluctuations that they are experiencing re-buried in the lay substrate and the low is 68.8 degrees with the high at 82.0. They are in the same room that my adults are in, but buffered a bit from highs and lows being buried in substrate. Humidity I also keep at 100% ambient. This has been successful with Kinixys zombensis, erosa, homeana and spekii (with multiple nogueyi developing as I type).

It would be great to touch base via phone or email and discuss incubation further. As I help setup a Kinixys Working Group, it would also be great to discuss what you have done with the CAWG.

Email: [email protected]

Keep those hatchlings coming! Bravo!

Jeremy
Just emailed you Jeremy.....