Sealant to withstand forest soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
I'm looking for a sealant that can with stand the moisture and acidity inherent with the substrate and moss commonly used for red foots.
Looking for something commonly found (AKA: In Canada), but nice and simple brush or spray application. Only needs to apply to plywood.

Also, any recommendations on sealing or caulking compounds that have high resilience and are chemically inert after curing, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help all!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
More than likely you want a plastic liner on top of the wood, no matter what type of sealant you use. I recommend a water based polyurethane on the wood. Then, use a pond liner, shower pan liner, or heavy duty shower curtain. You can cut it to size and have the substrate go right up to it so you don't even see the liner, and only a fraction of an inch of substrate peeks over it. If the substrate is moist enough for Redfoots, I don't know of anyone who ever puts it straight in a wood enclosure, no matter what sealant. Best wishes.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
tortoisenerd said:
...I recommend a water based polyurethane on the wood...

Got any names or brands you can whip at me?
I've got some time before I build my little mind storm here, so I'm trying to get some leg work on crap I usually leave 'til the last minute. All the wood work I have done so far used a hard wax finish. I feel though, that may be somewhat lacking as a sealant in the tortoise's ideal environment... Works great on a night stand though.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I used some type of Minwax that was water based and was not glossy (up to you though). Put on about 3 coats and let it dry almost a week. What would be wrong with wax as long as it's not toxic and you use a liner?

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that this is for a hide that will also be covered in soil and mosses.

Basically just looking for: Water proof, long lasting, chemically inert, tortoise friendly.

Regardless of work around, does such a spreadable/sprayable sealing product exist? Or am I do I need to gear up and join the 'green' movement to get one made? :p

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I do not have Redfoots but my hatchlings and juveniles are in fairly humid environment. I used Baer (sp?) Polyurethane from home depot that was water based. It has a shorter cure time (though I gave it 3 coats and over a week for curing) than oil based polyurethane. I then lined my pen with thick plastic. I have heard of people using linoleum and aquarium sealant at the joints for better water proofing. The only other suggestion I would have is that you use sheets of polyurethane or plastic cut to size (though expensive) and then sealed with aquarium sealant or pond sealant at the joints.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You might want to look into Expanded PVC instead of using wood. It will save you time and money in the long run. All you would need then is 100% silicone Caulk to seal it, then you're done..........

You can also use the Roll on Truck Bed Liners to seal Plywood too..........

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you go with plywood, even with a sealant, you'll want to go Marine Grade, which will cost you more. I second using plastic. Expanded PVC is great, and if you use a plywood base, you can basically laminate the two together so you only need a thin chunk of the PVC.

Or, you can 'cheat' and use a liner. I understand that it won't work for the hide as well, but for the hide I would probably go with marine grade ply, plastic, or clay (like drainage pipe or a large pot).

As for a sealant, the safest would be a water-based polyethelene- least fumes and potential irritants, etc. It will take a lot of coats and a lot of curing to make it last as long as you'l need. You can ask at the paint store about adding a fungicide to it, but most fungicides are pretty nasty chemicals.

If you go to a good lumber yard or paint store, they can help you quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.