Sea Turtle Nesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Guess what I did last night!!! Well, I'm sure the subject of the post might give it away a little. Last night me and my hubby went to the beach (in Melborne, Fl.) and watched Loggerhead sea turtles lay eggs. It was sooo... great. The Sea Turtle Preservation Society have sea turtle nesting watches that they hold in June and July.

We got there at 8:45 PM and they told us about the Loggerheads, and the two others that nest there also (Green and Leatherbacks). After the presentation, we waited as they were looking to find a Loggerhead crawling onto the beach. As we waited, there was a storm off in the distance and we were watching lightning over the ocean, very pretty.

We got to see 4 Loggerheads last night. The second of them we got to see nesting! We watched as she was laying the eggs in the hole that she dug. As she started to cover the hole, a third Loggerhead started to crawl onto the beach. This one was huge!!! It crawled onto the beach but then made a u-turn back to the water. We went back to watching the second finish filling the hole and crawl back into the water. On our walk back we seen a fourth loggerhead start to crawl onto the beach. By this time it was 2:00 in the morning so we dicided that it was time to leave. I probably could have stayed there all night.

I am so happy that me and my husband got to enjoy this experience. If anyone who lives in Florida, or is going to be visiting Florida in June or July, should definitly do this. You have to call and make reservations, so make sure you call as soon as you can.

If anyone is interested here is the link.....
www.seaturtlespacecoast.org
And they are also on Facebook.

Sorry that there aren't any pictures. They don't allow cameras (I was sooo... ready to take some pics) but flashes would spook the sea turtles and stop there nesting.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)
1 Shih-tzu/Lhasa Apso (Suki)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O wow Jamie
I am sure you and your hubby has a lot of fun. It must have been magic to see one of them nesting.
Thanks for sharing :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jamie what a great adventure that must have been for you. Someday I would like to see this. Perhaps I will just have to make a trip there in the future. Thanks for sharing this exciting story with us.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
How cool is that!
I was always mesmerized by those scenes captured on camera even as a little girl. Thank you for the link.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Kicking myself now for not visiting the beaches when we lived in SC, years ago.. I remember the whole lights out and they were trying to spread the word then too..

Status
Not open for further replies.