Scutes don't look healthy on my greek tortoise

I Rafii

Location (City and/or State)
Saudi arabia
Hi I got this greek tortoise and I'm not sure if the scutes look fine. The edges of the scutes are a bit sharp. Also the tummy is not perfectly smooth. Is that normal? Also there is one on the front right of it's shell that seems to be peeling off. Should I do something about it? Also what can I feed it to give it vitamin a? Thanks for nay help out there?

Attachments

• IMG_20201021_112743.jpg
    IMG_20201021_112743.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20201013_124120.jpg
    IMG_20201013_124120.jpg
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20201013_123807.jpg
    IMG_20201013_123807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20201013_124129.jpg
    IMG_20201013_124129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20201013_123729.jpg
    IMG_20201013_123729.jpg
    757 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20201013_124010.jpg
    IMG_20201013_124010.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 69

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Looks very cute but exceedingly dry. Are you shallow soaking it in water ideally daily or every other day for 30 mins in 30 degree C. It also could be dehydrated. Ensure ample fresh water in the enclosure and saok fresh food in water to ensure some water is consumed during feeding. Others may want to see the enclosure, substrate and lighting etc....

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
Thank you. It gets soaked almost daily but I didn't know it has to be 30 minutes. It has a bowl also for drinking it sits in it sometimes. My daughter mists the enclosure. It is 2 by 4 feet. I will try to hydrate it more.

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
Thank you. It gets soaked almost daily but I didn't know it has to be 30 minutes. It has a bowl also for drinking it sits in it sometimes. My daughter mists the enclosure. It is 2 by 4 feet. I will try to hydrate it more.
What can I feed a Greek tortoise to boost its vitamin a

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

Is the tortoise outside alot? I'm thinking it might be too hot for him in Saudi Arabian sun which would keep him dried out more often than not

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
No we only take him out for Short trips (15 to 30 minutes) to get some natural uv light and exercise. I think I need to fix the substrate. It's pretty dry. I will try to get pure potting soil. How often would I change the soil to keep it clean from bacteria?

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
This is how it should look. That little guy is so dehydrated he went pale and the skin is flaking. You need to soak him daily in warm water!
You must read Tom's guide on how to care for him if you want his life to be anything else than short and painful.

Attachments

• 20201006_142505.jpg
    20201006_142505.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
potting soil is not a good substrate... read the caresheet. substrate doesnt need to be changed often if routine cleanup is performed.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
This is how it should look. That little guy is so dehydrated he went pale and the skin is flaking. You need to soak him daily in warm water!
You must read Tom's guide on how to care for him if you want his life to be anything else than short and painful.
Those are great looking babies

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
not sure but in the last picture he might be bleeding a bit on his head (from the dryness?)

please be careful about vitamins, because unlike mammals (who can excrete the excess vitamins), reptiles can overdose. this is very common with vitamin a, and why reptiles should basically never get vitamin injections. too much of anything is not good.

as long as you feed a varied diet like in Tom's guide you do not have to worry about specific vitamins. It may also help to get a calcium or mineral supplement to sprinkle on their food.

grape leaves are a great food if you have any around, and mulberry leaves.

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Cyprus EU
potting soil is not a good substrate... read the caresheet. substrate doesnt need to be changed often if routine cleanup is performed.
Is there a clever method to clean coco substrate besides the obvious handpicking individual baby turds?
I find daily soaks to help a lot as they like to empty the load in the tub.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
not that i know of. i let them soak till they poop

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
How are you getting on? Have you soaked it for a long time?

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
Dear all, thank you for your support. I soaked it for 30 minutes today. The red on his head was from a flower he was eating. He is very active and happy. He has fresh clean water also every day and he gets to sit in the sun for 15 or 20 minutes a day, and a very varied diet of safe plants that are on the list of safe plants to eat. And lights in his enclosure only on one side so he can go to the other side if he doesn't want to get warm. I will soak him every day for 30 minutes like recommended. What substrate do you recommend? Maybe humidity is needed from the substrate. The wood chips at the petshops don't show from which tree the wood comes from so I was afraid he would be harmed by the wood. I thought soil would be good. Please recommend something safe. Thanks for all your support.

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
I couldn't find Tom's
Hello. I couldn't find Tom's guide to Greek tortoise. Can you please put the link? I only found for sulcata. Thank you

I Rafii

Saudi arabia
not sure but in the last picture he might be bleeding a bit on his head (from the dryness?)

please be careful about vitamins, because unlike mammals (who can excrete the excess vitamins), reptiles can overdose. this is very common with vitamin a, and why reptiles should basically never get vitamin injections. too much of anything is not good.

as long as you feed a varied diet like in Tom's guide you do not have to worry about specific vitamins. It may also help to get a calcium or mineral supplement to sprinkle on their food.

grape leaves are a great food if you have any around, and mulberry leaves.
He does eat grape leaves. We don't have mulberry leaves. I'm trying to feed him mostly only from the safe plants on this list. https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=621&c=8#.X5NnMFNRVkx

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY

I Rafii

Saudi arabia

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts