Scuffed/damaged shell help or advice do I need to do anything to treat this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
First and foremost, get rid of the rough walls he's scraping on. For instance, if his outside pen is right next to a house with stucco walls, put up a barrier so he can't contact the stucco.
There's really not much you can do to repair the scuffs and scrapes. YOu can try rubbing in some cold pressed coconut oil, but this is just a band aid. Shell damage doesn't repair.

07921sarah

5 Year Member
Thank you, she doesn’t really have access to any rough surfaces only the walls in in the tortoise table which are smooth but I shall get her out more and allow her to wonder round the house rather than in the smaller space I’m also looking at building and providing her with a larger enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your last sentence may be the clue to why the tortoise has scraped shell sides. If it's too small that's going to happen. they need lots of room to walk around, as this aids their digestion. Please don't allow the tortoise to wander around the house on the floor. This is very dangerous to the safety of the animal

07921sarah

5 Year Member
I have an ornate box turtle that was rescued from a dogs mouth. She had indents where the dogs mouth was, I use coconut oil a couple times a month and it hasn’t healed the dents, but over a year and a half it has improved the look of them.
Thank you I shall give it a go she will be moving into a much larger (6 times the size) outdoor enclosure hopefully next as long as the supplies turn up to complete the project so fingers crossed that will help