Saying hello!

SquibblyWibbly

So, I'm new here. SquibblyWibbly is my PSN handle and I'm super used to it. I'm in Upstate New York, outside of Albany by about an hour and I have a lovely Russian tortoise, Zipper. We've been partners in crime since 2008-ish and I figured it's probably way past time to actually get solid info from a good bunch of people.

Zip has free run of the main kitchen and the summer kitchen and gets along wonderfully with my 4 dogs and family. Plenty of hiding spots in the house (as the aquarium idea didnt go well, banging shell on glass all night) and everyone participates in harvesting food for her (?) from spring-fall.

I'll probably be a quiet observer for now and welcome any conversation or tips on how to participate here.

Thanks so much!

Squibbly
Zipper.jpg

SquibblyWibbly

This is the great part, a Great Dane, 2 English Mastiff and a German Shepard mix. They have all grown up together, it's cute to watch Zip try and "cuddle up" with them on their beds. Everyone was carefully monitored, no biting or play issues at all, and everyone has their own spots to get away from each other. Only issue is that the pups like to take Zips veggies and eat them. And yes, dandelion is a favourite here.

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Love the name "Zipper".
Sounds like you've worked out a pattern in taking care of him.

It is a bit unusual for dogs to leave a tortoise the size of a Russian alone, we've heard many stories here of dogs biting a tortoise , even after years of peace. So don't be offended if you get warnings about that.

Mine are allowed to roam my pave-stoned lanai under supervision, and I am careful to keep it swept. Since the little buggers will eat almost anything. :)

If you have questions not answered in the care Stickeys please ask - the members here will do their best to share what they know, have learned and experienced.
This includes how to
- provide the climates they need to thrive
- balanced diets
- health issues
- enclosure ideas and help - indoor & out
Have fun !

Good fortune with " Z". :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

What a cute ;) tort you have - GOD bless.

Please read the "Beginners' Mistake Thread" and different care sheets; which will help you deal with your tort. And do NOT hesitate to ask any question when in doubt.

Good luck!:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, SquibblyWibbly, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Zipper.
He looks super!
I'm sure you supervise him on the floors, but it's not a great environment for a tortoise, temperatures, humidity and draughts are hard to measure and regulate, objects such as pins, paperclips and even dust bunnies or dog hair can make a tortoise sick,and there is the risk of accidents with your dogs or people leaving doors open etc. A tortoise on the forum a few months back was killed when it's head got trapped in a door.:(
Warnings about dogs, yes, even after years of peaceful cohabitation, a dog can suddenly decide that a tortoise is a chew toy, just in a playful fashion.
see http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/ for what might happen one day.
Russians do need a lot of space, hence the banging against the glass of the aquarium, but taping up the bottom few inches so Zipper can't see out, would help with that.
The other threads mentioned above which may help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Nice to have you here!