Saw a Hermann Tortoise today....

nemo2182

Location (City and/or State)
Andover
Hello All,
Newbie here.....

So my eldest son started talking about wanting a tortoise recently and I totally shut him down....The thing is I got to meet a baby Hermann today at a friends house and I am absolutely smitten lol

But.....

I do not have the first idea about what I am doing. Ive read alot about this particular breed being a Mediterranean species that has to be outside....this got me thinking....

Could I make a house outside for all-year round use if it was well insulated and had a heat lamp provided?? My plan is to open up two hatches within my large planter, along with a run between. Obviously here in the UK we dont see much plus 26 degree summer weather (even though we have had 4 days in the 30s this week) and we can have very cold and harsh winters

Please dont bite my head off, I am a complete novis and thought rather than getting mixed messages on the web, Id come to a forum where you lovely guys should be able to give me all the info I need...Happy to keep him in the house if need be, but Id like for him to be outside if I can get the right conditions....

Thank you in advance for any info provided

Nathan

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hopefully an expert will be able to help you soon. Hermanns are great. Good luck

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you get a hatchling it should be housed inside for approx 3 years where heat and humidity can be controlled for proper growth and eliminate pyramiding. After that then he could live outside like you mentioned, except more than a heat light would be needed to heat the shed.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Welcome to the forums! I strongly suggest checking out the care sheet as it should answer most of your questions:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome,from Devon, future tortoise carer. We have a Hermanns tortoise - he is now 21, and very much loved At the time, 20 years ago, there really wasn't much information around, and we mainly just muddled through. In fact, when we first got him, we took him to the local vet, thinking we ought to register him, and all the staff crowded round to see him - including big strong farm animal vets, who were more used to having their arms up a cow's back-side - everyone cooing and admiring him - most never having seen a baby tortoise before !
You are fortunate to have this Forum -everyone is friendly, and there are a lot of very knowledgeable experts in all aspects of tortoise care. So you have come to the best place.
By the way, Hermanns are wonderful !
Angie