Sanibel Florida in February

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
My parents go down to Florida every winter to hide from the northern cold for a few weeks, and I think this year I may be heading down to join them for a few days in mid-February.

Are there any great tortoise people or places in that area (I'll have a rental car) that I shouldn't miss ... I'd love to see some big sulcatas or aldabras strutting their stuff in the sun.

Thanks,

Jamie

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I know there's a breeder named Sam Pascucci who runs Florida Iguana. He's got a huge compound of Aldabra and Galapagos tortoises, along with some other species. He offers tours of his place (you need to contact to schedule in advance). I've never been there yet since I'm in Arizona, but if I ever make my way over to Florida it is definitely on my list of places to check out!

https://www.floridaiguana.com

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I know there's a breeder named Sam Pascucci who runs Florida Iguana. He's got a huge compound of Aldabra and Galapagos tortoises, along with some other species. He offers tours of his place (you need to contact to schedule in advance). I've never been there yet since I'm in Arizona, but if I ever make my way over to Florida it is definitely on my list of places to check out!

https://www.floridaiguana.com

Thanks, that sounds great!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
My parents go down to Florida every winter to hide from the northern cold for a few weeks, and I think this year I may be heading down to join them for a few days in mid-February.

Are there any great tortoise people or places in that area (I'll have a rental car) that I shouldn't miss ... I'd love to see some big sulcatas or aldabras strutting their stuff in the sun.

Thanks,

Jamie
Are you flying down, or will you be driving into Florida?

If you're driving, via I-75 south from Georgia, your route will take you through Gainesville. That's where the University of Florida veterinary school is located.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
There was an article not long ago about a huge Gopher Tortoise in Sanibel at a vet or rescue ... I might see if I can check it out.

J

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Check with the local (regional) herp society for that area. They may be able to give you suggestions (and possibly help with an introduction or two).