sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
When I first bought my tortoise a year ago I read that the best substrate was play sand mixed with bed-a-beast. So that's what I did. Now I read Tom's beginner mistakes and see no sand. Is the mix ok and just plain sand bad or no sand at all and I should change it? It's also an exoterra tank about 45 gallons ~ 35"x18", has the front doors and the ventilation strip. He has an outdoor enclosure to get more exercise in so is this ok for his indoor?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Some people use it as a mixture and it works okay for them. I have seen too many impactions and eye irritations with it, even as part of a mixture. I choose not to use it in favor of things that I think are less risky. If you continue to use it, will you be one of the many that don't ever have a problem, or will you be one of the few whose tortoise ends up having impaction surgery? Since I never use it, I can guarantee with 100% certainty that none of my tortoises will ever have a sand impaction issue.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have used the sand mixed into my coir for years with no problems. I have tried the other types of substrates and combs of them, but for me and my tortoises, they just are not as effective. ANYthing you use as a substrate may and will be eaten at times. I have not found anything that is totally safe and free from risk of impactions or ripping. As a rule, if your animal is well hydrated and eating, he should have no more problem or risk with your using a low percentage like 20% or less of sand, then with any other substrate.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I choose not to use it in favor of things that I think are less risky.

Ditto :D

ANYthing you use as a substrate may and will be eaten at times. I have not found anything that is totally safe and free from risk of impactions or ripping.

Ditto :D

Hydration is essential :D

Status
Not open for further replies.