Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif

Alaskamike

South Florida
I hope you do go through with this project. It really is not difficult to set up a 501c3. I've done it for severa l organizations without a lawyer. Just go to your states corporation website and download the forms. Fill em out and send back in. Be thorough !

Record are important. If you follow the rules carefully it's simple.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We would love to see pictures of your setups so others in cold climates can see how to do it right .

Steve in CT

Connecticut
I hope you do go through with this project. It really is not difficult to set up a 501c3. I've done it for severa l organizations without a lawyer. Just go to your states corporation website and download the forms. Fill em out and send back in. Be thorough !

Thank you

TortLove13

Yes, go to your state's Secretary of State website, reserve the name you are wanting, do appropriate paperwork and send in with applicable fees. It really isn't difficult. Best of luck to you! It is absolutely wonderful what you're doing for these amazing creatures!!

Connecticut
I thought that I might reintroduce myself because since I joined not long ago a lot has changed. My name is Steve and I live in Connecticut and yes Connecticut is not the best climate for a tortoise or for me. I have had a live long passion for tortoises and received my first two more than 25 years ago. today I have 8 Sulcatas, 14 Russians, 4 Redfoots 1 Hermanns, 1 Greek and a 3 toed box.

I also have 6 acres of land with a fantastic pasture that I have pored my sweat and blood into creating spacious, healthy habitats for my herd. ( I also have a very understanding wife)

I came across a large Sulcata awhile back and and the women who saved him said a college student was going to release it in a town park pond. I wondered how people think the same way so I have run a add on craigslist and sure enough at lest 2 other tortoises over the years were rescued because someone was going to release them.

I do not consider myself a rescue but more in line with a sanctuary. I never buy sell or adopt out, once they arrive here they are here to stay. No more glass tanks in someones corner of the room. Some of the tortoise come here in sad shape, some never walked on the ground outside, but they are given the best that I can give them and accept their odd looking misshaped shell and other little deformities, and they do really well and are appreciated for the magnificent creatures they are.

Most folks that come here to drop off are very grateful that I am willing to take their beloved tortoise in and give it a permanent home.

So I call this a sanctuary but I am really considering making it official and would love to correspond with anyone in the same situation. I think we need more sanctuaries!!!

I appreciate your input
Steve
The Connecticut Tortoise Sanctuary (sounds kinda good)
Hello! I know your post is very old, but I was just searching for tortoise enthusiasts on here near me because I too live in Connecticut. It's very admirable of you to have a tortoise sanctuary. Do you know any Red-foot Tortoise experts besides yourself that live in Connecticut? Thanks!