Sammy making groaning noises.

SulcataSammy

Location (City and/or State)
Mequon, Wisconsin
Sammy, my 18 year old soul Carter has been making these odd noises the past several months. It sounds kind of like a groaning moaning sound. He seems to only do it in the evening when he sits under his red heat lamp.

otherwise he is very healthy. Looks very healthy. Eats and drinks well, is active and sits under his sun lights during the day, poop is healthy. I don’t seem to notice a lot of Pee however.

he does this often on for an hour or two in the evening. Hadn’t noticed it in previous years. Is it an issue.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How close to his back is the light?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sammy, my 18 year old soul Carter has been making these odd noises the past several months. It sounds kind of like a groaning moaning sound. He seems to only do it in the evening when he sits under his red heat lamp.

otherwise he is very healthy. Looks very healthy. Eats and drinks well, is active and sits under his sun lights during the day, poop is healthy. I don’t seem to notice a lot of Pee however.

he does this often on for an hour or two in the evening. Hadn’t noticed it in previous years. Is it an issue.?
Those sounds are usually one of three things:
1. Breeding noises. This can happen when they are solo too.
2. Constipation.
3. Respiratory infection.

Heat lamps shouldn't be used over larger tortoises. This is not an effective way to heat them, and it usually slow burns their carapace.

SulcataSammy

Mequon, Wisconsin
Sorry for the spell correct, he is obviously a sulcata. He has always had that light for years. It is about 12" from him, 75W red heat lamp. When I turnhis day lights off he heads right to the spot under the light and spends the night there. Every night for years. Possibly he has gotten bigger, hence the light is getting closer to his shell?

As far as an infection. His nostrils are clear, breathing fine, eyes bright. He does poop often, no issue there. And nice health poops I can pick up and throw away. Like I said I don't seem to notice many pee spots. I have been negligent in soaking him (bathtub), and probably should tomorrow. Hard for me with a bad back to lift him. That seems to make them expel everything.

He's smallish for his age and healthy looking, maybe 20lbs. His enclosure is 5 feet by 10feet. He's doing great otherwise. Just those weird night noises. Sometimes during the day he makes a real loud noise that sounds like a loud huff or expelling sound. Hard to describe. But that is just once or twice during the day.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think it's possible what your hearing are excited boy sounds.....

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Those sounds are usually one of three things:
1. Breeding noises. This can happen when they are solo too.
2. Constipation.
3. Respiratory infection.

Heat lamps shouldn't be used over larger tortoises. This is not an effective way to heat them, and it usually slow burns their carapace.
Tom, my 13 year old female (per this group after pictures 10 years ago) is now making these noises too. All of her temps are good at 72-79 ambient temperature. Upper, side and bottom heat mats to maintain heat. Regular poop and occasional soft urates. Once in a great while they can be gritty. Eats mainly grass. Mazuri with calcium 2 times per week and rotate radicchio, green leaf couple times a week. She very active just noisy as of a couple months ago. As always, I appreciate any thoughts/wisdom.