Sam and Knobby

M

Maggie Cummings

I said I would make a thread for Sam as I was hijacking Kendall's thread.
I got Sam from my sis on my way back from Texass. I got Daisy Mae a yearling and Pansy 6 months old. Sam was Daisy Mae then. So I set each up in a nice tort table and Pansy settles right in. She's actually in a closed chamber, she starts eating right away and just becomes an easy keeper.
However, Daisy Mae is horrible. Every morning she is out on the floor. How? She bangs and scratches and continually makes noise, won't eat and she bites. I've been covering her table with aluminum foil to keep the heat in. So one night I put her to bed and hid around the corner. She litterally pushed a rock over to the side of the table, climbed up on the rock and struggled a bit then fell 4 feet to the floor. This is a nightly routine. So I moved a yearling Sulcata out to Bob's shed that I was never going to go in again. Every morning rain or shine I open the doggie door and the now Sam (he showed off his package) goes out and grazes no matter what the weather. Then he goes into the shed and gets under the Powersun. Since I moved him out to the shed, he's doing really well. He gains a pound a day. He's 13 pounds now. 2 years old.
I know this story is not funny, but we kinda have to wait for Spring and he goes out. I do believe he is different and smarter than the average Sulcata. I can hardly wait until he stops biting me......

This is Sam, just showing how smooth he is and the bright growth lines

DSCN3143.JPG

DSCN3140.JPG

this is Knobby. If you can look at this first photo of him without smiling, you're too serious. He is somewhere between 2 and 5 years old, 5 inches long. He's a big as my 6 months old. But as you can see, he's a bit bumpy. He was found in downtown Portland, 80 miles away. He is the sweetest tort you ever met. I am pretty excited about showing him how to be a real happy tortoise. Taking him outside, watermelon, swimming, strawberries, there's so much for him to look forward to. If I die still having him he is to go to Jacqui.

DSCN3284.JPG

this is Pansy. She ws 6 months old when I got her and she was already pyramiding. She lives in a closed chamber, and I'm hoping her new growth is smoothDSCN3067.JPG

Here's Knobby and Pansy. She's 6 months old here, and look at the size of Knobby. His face is older looking and so are his legs.I think he is between 2 and 5 yrs.DSCN3008.JPG

Sam takes a swim every morning....

View attachment 193200

I'm thinking this is a 20 pound cat, not a tortoise......

DSCN2399.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Cute pictures! I want to bury my face in that fluffy belly! I miss having a cat.

I hope you get a close relationship with Sam. I find that the feisty pets end up being the smart ones, and the smart ones seem more capable of interacting with you.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
What a bunch of beautiful little characters!!! LAWDY, you're going to have your hands full as they grow up!!!:p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No doubt, there'll be some health issues with some/all of them from time to time. Will you be doctoring them yourself, and if not, will you be needing a vet? It can be a costly endeavor with that many animals needing special care. I have spend a small fortune trying to find out what and why one of my big boys have been sickly. He still eats and poops great, but hasn't wanted to move much or get out of his enclosure. It took great effort to move this guy to the vet only to find that the vet couldn't find a single thing wrong. I'm never gonna bring them back to her again cause I don't think she's skilled enough with these exotics to spot any irregularities in x-rays and blood work. I will be posting those tests here in the hope someone skilled can tell me something :(

M

Maggie Cummings

I operate a small (20) special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. Most of the animals are missing jaws, blind, missing legs, abscessed sinus', etc. Most are considered unadoptable. I do have 2 young Sulcata for adoption, I will keep Sam and Knobby, but Melon and Pansy will go up for adoption when they are a year old. I want to add to my Ornata colony and have babies. That's my goal. I do most of the Doctoring myself. I can draw blood, give injections, gavage if I have to. I have several antibiotics and some pain killer. I do sub-q fluids. It's no big thing.....

M

Maggie Cummings

Cute pictures! I want to bury my face in that fluffy belly! I miss having a cat.

I hope you get a close relationship with Sam. I find that the feisty pets end up being the smart ones, and the smart ones seem more capable of interacting with you.

I DO bury my face in that fat soft belly, and she likes it too. She's a rare purrfect tuxedo....I agree, Sam's the one, he's smart as hell, but too aggressive. I'm not sure how to handle that. Bob was so good natured. Even tho he did try to eat my finger........I don't want to use negative discipline, but I am tired of being bit and rammed.

M

Maggie Cummings

Looks like I'm still here alone. You know, it's funny. If I don't post, all kinds of chatters do. If I post, nobody but my sister does. Guess that tells me something

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Instead of being paranoid, you should just realize that week-ends are always slow here. People generally have other things to do on Sunday besides look at the Forum.

Whose dog?

M

Maggie Cummings

I rest my case. I need a dog for protection. But I'm afraid they are more work than I have in me. So I tried a small dog, no thanks, now I'm gonna go see a German Shepherd. At least my yard is fenced in. I'm probably being stupid as usual.