Saltwater Aquariums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Is anyone on here into saltwater aquariums?

I was back in the day, but have not had a tank in almost 10 years. I went to my local tropical fish pet store and I was completely overwhelmed by all the new equipment and everything. Can anyone recommend a good book on how to get started in the hobby?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I recently had an absolutely gorgeous salty, but I made a HUGE mistake and paid dearly for it.

I bought some live rock and frags from someone I trusted, and therefore didn't quarantine the new things. My tank was taken over by cyanobacteria and it killed EVERYTHING. I had some gorgeous corals and some really cool inverts (I prefer not to have fish, actually) and everything died :(

I am going to get mine set up again soon. I dried all my rock out and I'll scrub it and soak it and use it as base rock. Right now all my extra pennies are going towards getting my second Star tortoise (!!!! :D) but after that I will start saving up to get some new livestock to seed my tank.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I have a saltwater tank running for about 5 years I cant recommend a book. I got all my info online or at the fish store if you have any questions drop me a PM be glad to help if I can .here is an older pic
pics12-13-10008.jpg

pics440.jpg

John

5 Year Member
my buddy deals in live coral if you all need some pm me and i'll hook you up with him.he mainly imports from belize.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I had a neighbor about 25 year ago or so, who had an awesome salt water tank, he was a diver and he got some awesome creatures right from the ocean, of course I don't know how legal it was what he did. but when you are young the look of the aquarium was just awesome, did I mention how awesome it was? Simply awesome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey David: Are you saying that your neighbor's tank was awesome?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Neal said:
Is anyone on here into saltwater aquariums?

I was back in the day, but have not had a tank in almost 10 years. I went to my local tropical fish pet store and I was completely overwhelmed by all the new equipment and everything. Can anyone recommend a good book on how to get started in the hobby?

Neal contact Frank at [email protected] - he started one of the first salt-water fish wholesale operations back in the early '70's as I recall. He may even ask you to give him a call - great guy and glad to help.

Terry

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
Hey David: Are you saying that your neighbor's tank was awesome?

In case I wasn't clear, let me reiterate, It was awesome.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
coreyc said:
I have a saltwater tank running for about 5 years I cant recommend a book. I got all my info online or at the fish store if you have any questions drop me a PM be glad to help if I can .here is an older pic
pics12-13-10008.jpg

pics440.jpg
I like the stingray.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for the info Terry and everyone. Nice tank Corey.

Status
Not open for further replies.