Salmonella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeke

5 Year Member
I got sanmonella from flash the other day..guess i wasnt washing my hands good enough! It was horrible!!! He has a vet appt monday to make sure hes okay too tho:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
How do you know it came from your tortoise?

Sources of infection

Infected food
Poor kitchen hygiene (could have been a restaurant)
Excretions from either sick or infected but apparently clinically healthy people and animals (especially endangered are caregivers and animals);
Polluted surface water and standing water (such as in shower hoses or unused water dispensers);
Unhygienically thawed fowl (the meltwater contains many bacteria);
An association with reptiles (pet tortoises, snakes, iguanas and frogs, but primarily aquatic turtles)

Salmonella bacteria can survive several weeks in a dry environment and several months in water thus, they are frequently found in polluted water, contamination from the excrement of carrier animals being particularly important. Aquatic vertebrates, notably birds and reptiles, are important vectors of Salmonella. Poultry, cattle, and sheep frequently being agents of contamination, salmonella can be found in food, especially in milk, meats and sometimes in eggs which have cracks. Also on money.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
emysemys said:
How do you know it came from your tortoise?

Sources of infection

Infected food
Poor kitchen hygiene (could have been a restaurant)
Excretions from either sick or infected but apparently clinically healthy people and animals (especially endangered are caregivers and animals);
Polluted surface water and standing water (such as in shower hoses or unused water dispensers);
Unhygienically thawed fowl (the meltwater contains many bacteria);
An association with reptiles (pet tortoises, snakes, iguanas and frogs, but primarily aquatic turtles)

Salmonella bacteria can survive several weeks in a dry environment and several months in water thus, they are frequently found in polluted water, contamination from the excrement of carrier animals being particularly important. Aquatic vertebrates, notably birds and reptiles, are important vectors of Salmonella. Poultry, cattle, and sheep frequently being agents of contamination, salmonella can be found in food, especially in milk, meats and sometimes in eggs which have cracks. Also on money.

And remember when people got it from spinach http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-3219348.html
or when some people got it from Taco Bell http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/taco-bell-linked-salmonella-outbreak/story?id=15498673#.T3Oqutmdft8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Someone just asked about this same thing. I bet it wasn't from the tort. I would also like to know why you think it was from the tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.