Safe UVA UVB for young Aldabra

niraj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
Many experienced tortoise keepers have observed that CFL and Mercury UVA UVB Lamps cause eye problems for the tortoises. A few have recommended usage of Florescent lights as an alternative to CFL and mercury. Please advise which of the two Amazon listings ( links given below) are advisable and safe for young Aldabra Tortoise. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.in/Exo-Terra-Int...nt+uv+reptile&qid=1563133900&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.in/Exo-Terra-Flu...t+uv+reptile&qid=1563133900&s=gateway&sr=8-3#

Bee62

Germany
Many experienced tortoise keepers have observed that CFL and Mercury UVA UVB Lamps cause eye problems for the tortoises. A few have recommended usage of Florescent lights as an alternative to CFL and mercury. Please advise which of the two Amazon listings ( links given below) are advisable and safe for young Aldabra Tortoise. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.in/Exo-Terra-Int...nt+uv+reptile&qid=1563133900&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.in/Exo-Terra-Flu...t+uv+reptile&qid=1563133900&s=gateway&sr=8-3#
Only the second one. Coiled bulbs are known to cause eye issues. But you can use this one too, I used it for all my tortoises ( aldabras too ) with no problems:
https://www.amazon.de/Arcadia-SMA80...K/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=66431350490&gclid=EAIaIQ

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
CFL coiled bulbs cause eye problems. Mercury vapor bulbs MVB get too hot on the shell and causes pyramiding even with high humidity.
Both should be avoided and the use of tube fluorescents and radiant heat panels are best for both preventing eye problems and pyramiding.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
CFL coiled bulbs cause eye problems. Mercury vapor bulbs MVB get too hot on the shell and causes pyramiding even with high humidity.
Both should be avoided and the use of tube fluorescents and radiant heat panels are best for both preventing eye problems and pyramiding.
Thank you. The second listing on Amazon appears to be a tube. Is it safe in your valuable opinion? I am reposting the link below as it appears that the earlier one is broken.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B077FTRGY9/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_FxalDbRPTQPAH

Bee62

Germany
Can you show us some pics of your tortoises please ? We love to see pics and aldabra tortoises are always special.:)

niraj

5 Year Member
India
Can you show us some pics of your tortoises please ? We love to see pics and aldabra tortoises are always special.:)
@bee62 Please find attached photos as desired by you. Its weight is about 267 grams and shell length is about 4.5 inches. Shell diameter is about 5 inches. Its hatch date is not known. Please share your opinion about what could be its approximate age and also the overall condition of the tortoise. I am also posting a video of it. Thank you.

20190615_112912.jpeg20190615_112809.jpeg20190615_112838.jpeg20190615_112902.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The imported ones has to be 4 inches before being imported. I believe, and @ALDABRAMAN can confirm, that they are approximately 6 months at 4 inches as I believe they are hatched at approximately 2 inches.
Of course they all grow at their own rate and dependent on care from hatching too.
Yours looks great. Be sure to soak daily and give a higher humidity to keep him smooth. Similar care to the sulcata and leopards, well most torts.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
The imported ones has to be 4 inches before being imported. I believe, and @ALDABRAMAN can confirm, that they are approximately 6 months at 4 inches as I believe they are hatched at approximately 2 inches.
Of course they all grow at their own rate and dependent on care from hatching too.
Yours looks great. Be sure to soak daily and give a higher humidity to keep him smooth. Similar care to the sulcata and leopards, well most torts.
@Wellington @Bee62 I have bought Exoterra Reptile UVB 200 as per your kind advice. Its box shows different charts with regard to distance and UV intensity. I am attaching photos of the same. Please advise at what height would you recommend placing this light. I would also request @Tom to share his valuable opinion on this. Thank you very much.1563563919111.jpeg1563564053777.jpeg1563564070550.jpeg1563564335719.jpeg1563564405581.jpeg1563564469091.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would do 12 inches.
Also if you can get him outside for natural uv that would be better. 1/2 hour to 1 hour 3-4 times a week or daily and raise the amount of time it as he gets older. At about 6-9 inches he could be outside most of the day and you wouldnt need the light.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
Thank you very much for your prompt response. Is there a risk of any eye damage or burns at 12 inches inasmuch as this is the highest intensity light made by the company? Thank you once again and sorry to bother you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not that I know of or ever heard of. Only ones that I know of causing eye problems is the Coil. I guess if they were to close they all could possibly cause problems but 12 inches is the lowest recommended.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
Not that I know of or ever heard of. Only ones that I know of causing eye problems is the Coil. I guess if they were to close they all could possibly cause problems but 12 inches is the lowest recommended.
Thank you very much.

Bee62

Germany
Most species of tortoises live in the wild in habitats with much sunlight = much UVB. Tortoises and there eyes are adapted on high UVB. There is only one very important thing when you create artificial UVB for your tortoise: It must come directly from above. Not from the side. Tortoise eyes are insensitive when sun and UVB comes from above, but not when it comes from the side.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have any experience with that particular bulb, so I don't know how it performs. Also, different bulbs from the same brand and type can have quite a bit of variation. Without a UV meter, me and anyone else are just guessing.

I would err on the side of caution and mount the bulb at least 18 inches away. HO bulbs usually produce a lot of UV. In your climate, you can use real sunshine to meet your tortoise's UV needs. This being the case, its not critical that the indoor bulb be so close.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
@wellington @Tom Thank you very much for your kind responses and advice. There is an article published in the Journal of Zoo and Aquarium research written by Frances Baines and others. The UV requirement for Aldabras is shown in the chart at Page 19, the details of which are reproduced hereundet:

Biome:13

Ferguson zone: 2-3

Photoperiod: 12-12

I am attaching the full article as well as relevant screenshot of the page.

Please advice how the figures in the article can be corroborated with the figures shown in on the chart printed on the box of Exottera bulb (photos already attached again for ready reference) with regard to the recommended height.

Thank you once again.View attachment 150-Article Text-872-1-10-20160211.pdfSmartSelect_20190722-010717_Drive.jpeg1563564335719.jpeg1563564469091.jpeg1563564405581.jpeg