Safe Treatment for Hibiscus against Aphids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingInCulver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ryan's favorite treat and snack plant, his hibiscus, is suffering from aphids - what's a good short term and long term treatment? Something I can do to prevent or repel the pests, while still making sure that the hibiscus is still safe for him to eat?

is there such a thing as organic pesticides? or a DIY treatment?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea if this will work or not. Mi have heard many times to treat plant pests with dish soap, mixed with water and stray with spray bottle. Before feeding to tort, just rinse off.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have no idea if this will work or not. Mi have heard many times to treat plant pests with dish soap, mixed with water and stray with spray bottle. Before feeding to tort, just rinse off.

I have tried this and with time the aphids do come off. Goodluck!

Aquila80

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Buy some ladybugs. They eat aphids and they are cheap (I now local store where they sell sell them. $8 for 1500

Buy some ladybugs. They eat aphids and they are cheap (I now local store where they sell sell them. $8 for 1500

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ive never tried this but Ive heard putting worm castings on the trunk of the tree will take care of this problem. Local nursery should have this

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bigred said:
Ive never tried this but Ive heard putting worm castings on the trunk of the tree will take care of this problem. Local nursery should have this

There was a thread on this here a while back. I have not tried it either since hibiscus won't survive here long enough to get an aphid infestation, but I'd sure like to know if it works.

The soapy water thing has never worked for me on other plants.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tom said:
bigred said:

There was a thread on this here a while back. I have not tried it either since hibiscus won't survive here long enough to get an aphid infestation, but I'd sure like to know if it works.

The soapy water thing has never worked for me on other plants.

Im going to try it in the next couple weeks, we have some big hibiscus plants and already having problems. Im sure it takes time to see if it works or not so I will let you guys know

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I take my hibiscus outside and spray the heck out of it with the hose! Those buggers hang on tight, but it's the most effective treatment I've found :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Have you tried the dawn dish soap with olive oil? It has to be rinsed off well the next day before the sun hits. Or it will burn the leaves. I use this method on all plants...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
a few drops of peppermint oil in 1/2 cup water, sprayed on, can be a deterrent. Dusting with diatomaceous earth should help as well.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Smearing the offending insect on as much of the plant or collecting and blendering with water then spraying the mixture on the plant will help keep the buggers away.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
LadyBugs!!! Go to home depot or lowes....you should be able to buy a box of them..if the infestation is large enough the lady bugs will stick around to clean up the mess. this works I've used it on roses....good luck!!

not only does it work but you also wont have to worry about the flowers having chemicals or dish soap on them when you feed them to your torts.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yes to lady bugs!

If you can plant a Artemisia absinthium / wormwood plant or more nearby, it will draw the aphids away from your hibiscus and lady bugs will have their babies on the plant. In a few weeks my artemisia absinthium (yes, the one they used to use to make absinthe) will be covered with little specks ... ladybug babies ... thousands. Every year, something to look forward to

I also use chicken manure, as well as worm castings, to prevent aphids and whitefly on hibiscus. I think something happens chemically when the plant takes in the manure/castings and makes it yukky tasting for these pests. Then again, healthy plants, are less likely to get pests so it could be that by building up the soil and getting some nutrients into the hibiscus it is now strong enough to resist.

Another good thing for your hibsicus is coffee grounds. Dump all your used coffee grounds (or ask a coffee house for theirs, for your garden) and rake into the soil around your shrub, and water in. And if you soak your feet in epsom salts, dump the water on your hibsicus or roses after your soak. The magnesium will give you more flowers and our tortoises love those hibsicus and roses, so the more, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.