Safe plants for Horsefields?

PiL71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I want to integrate some live plants into my tort's habitat, but I don't really trust the websites that I've looked on ie; Tortoise Town Link, Garden Guide Link, because I'm dealing with my buddy's life here, if I pick the wrong plants. Some that I've picked a liking to are Hawksbeard (not sure if its toxic or not), Dandelions (yes, I'm actually doing those), Clover (good ground cover), some generic Nettles, and some grass, plus whatever you guys come up with. For substrate, I'm thinking of coconut coir, orchid bark, sphagnum moss and a small amount of sand, all mixed together. A recipe that I saw is 1 part coco coir, 1 part orchid bark, 2 parts sphagnum moss, and 3/4 part sand. Let me know if <- that works.

Thank you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For the substrate coco choir covered by orchid bark is best. Sand and moss are bad because they can be eaten and cause impaction. Plantain weed is a favorite of my Russian. Zinnias and hibiscus are great flowers/leaves. For in the enclosure spider plants and pothos can be used. Cat grass (oat seeds) also grow quickly and can be munched on. Otherwise the plants(weeds) are fine. Good luck

PiL71

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
For the substrate coco choir covered by orchid bark is best. Sand and moss are bad because they can be eaten and cause impaction. Plantain weed is a favorite of my Russian. Zinnias and hibiscus are great flowers/leaves. For in the enclosure spider plants and pothos can be used. Cat grass (oat seeds) also grow quickly and can be munched on. Otherwise the plants(weeds) are fine. Good luck
Would you recommend I cycle the individual plants to give them a bit of rejuvenation time, because a teacher of mine used to have to do that for his ball python. Thank you so much for the input!
Edit: Before I forget to ask, do you know if Nettles and/or Hawksbeard are ok for him? Edit 2 because I'm smart and good at remembering: What are isopods? Are they the little roly poly's I have heard of living within enclosures to clean up waste? Would it benefit to have those? What is the rate of escape for them?

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
1. Rotation is necessary unless you hang pots so they can’t reach
2. Hawksbeard is okay. Deadnettles are okay. There is an app called tortoise table that helps with plant id and level of safety
3. Isopod are rolli pollis and escape is very low, but could tag along in any substrate you remove-if it is being changed and thrown out the no worries. Excellent clean up crew and my Leopard leaves them alone. I bought two batches from eBay seller yummyinmytummy 70 in a batch (at least) are very active. I had to since it was too cold outside to look in Richmond. I will create a few spots to collect them this year.