Safe Moss For Eastern Box Turtles?

melaniexreanne

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
i've looked all over this site trying to find out if other types of moss is safe for my two eastern box turtles, i know that sphagnum and peat moss is safe but are there others??? possibly one that flowers, looks pretty, and that they can eat.

thanks for the help in advance.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The thing with mosses, especially live mosses like frog moss and carpet moss. Is they require dark shady cool wet rasas to grow and thrive in. So this combination of temperatures and lighting can cause fungi, and spores to be easily transmitted. So I'd say steer away from mosses unless from a very good source. I'd start with dart frog suppliers, but I don't believe the little guy will eat it. He may. Boxies are pretty carnivorous when young, most vegetation they will eat when wee are blackberries and the leaves. Good luck. Maybe try joshes frogs for some moss. They have lots of terrarium plants and stuff like that.

melaniexreanne

Indiana
Ok I'll keep that in mind, I just want like something that'll look pretty Maybe some plants, what about ferns? I just don't know what i can put in there that will provide ground cover and will look nice because they love to hide in the wheat grass I have in there but it doesn't really cover anything it grows straight up then falls over, the girls think it's the best thing ever lol

Attachments

• 1414521298744.jpg
    1414521298744.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 17

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hostas are good safe plants, ferns are ok too. Monkey grasses. Most times though decorations will get destroyed by the little buggers.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am very interested in something called "Green Irish Moss" or "Pearlwort." Its scientific name is Sagina subulata.
It looks just perfect, but I don't know if it's safe and am having trouble finding info about it.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio