Sad Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

5 Year Member
This is a pretty sad story, so I warn you about reading further.

So I moved back in with my parents, they have 3 dogs. I brought Blastoise (8mo Sulcata) home and they were apathetic towards him. They would look and sorta smell him, but go on their merry ways. Well I was still cautious, so for the first week I watched him when he was in his outdoor kiddie pool all day (I had him on a table, and with bungees holding down the chicken wire atop the pool). The dogs didn't even notice, except for when I brought him out, and put him away. I watched them play, disregarding my Sulcata. The next week went fine without constant supervision until a couple days ago, I got a call while I was out shopping. My dad said the dogs had gotten my tort but he was alive(they tore the chicken wire open). I was petrified, I had no idea what to do. I was so scared, they were on the way to a pet emergency room. I was semi-optimistic, knowing that they bit part of his shell. Once I arrived though, I saw his condition and it was grave. The dogs bit off his front left foot, and tore into his plastron. It was a gruesome site. At this point I was still optimistic, thinking that he could still make it if his foot heals (recently visiting a sea turtle rehab). The doctor called a herp vet and asked what to do. This is what I was told, "the outlook isn't the best, the chance of infection is very high. If he makes it through tonight, there will have to be a surgery to remove his leg to try to prevent any further infection, and his plastron will have to be rebuilt." This was devastating to me, I was horrified. But there was nothing I could do. I asked how much it would cost, and they estimated around $950 (cost of surgery/staying in the hospital) they still couldn't guarantee his health after that. Its then that it occurred to me the possibility of him not making it. I cried, I hysterically cried. The doctor came back out and asked what I wanted to do. The thoughts were running through my head, but the one that prevailed was, he loves to dig, he loves to walk around, he loves to play. If he survives, he won't have a front left leg to do this with, and it will be a long slow process for his recovery. and it still wasn't any guarantee that he would definitely make it. It was then I started crying again, the doctor asked what I wanted to do, I said "Just......(i couldn't speak at this point)... I think......... Put... asleep." That was such a hard decision to make, but it is for the better, he is in a place where he can eternally dig, and run around. Seeing him the way he was, was a terrible site, I knew he was in excruciating pain, and I know the decision I made was the best for him.

I am getting another Sulcata to help with the grieving process, and will keep him under 100% supervision, ALWAYS.
I hate the dogs, but can only hate them to an extent. I don't know what had gotten into them, they didn't bother for 2 weeks, then one day just snapped. It is a terrible thing and I hope no one has to ever deal with such an incident.

RIP Blastoise

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 130

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It's easy to blame the dogs, but you can't. They were only being dogs, it is unfair to blame them.

TheValve

5 Year Member
I'm very sorry for your loss, you made the right decision.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Sorry for you loss :( please do not hate on the dogs it's not there fault dog's and torts do not mix at all.the dog did not stap he just knew you were not around to stop him . thats what dogs do build a dog proof pen for your tort so they will be safe

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry Steven. Too many people have experienced this pain. I wish you well in the future. I'm also happy to help you with dog questions or enclosure building questions in the future, if you want the help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your horrible ordeal and the loss of Blastoise. I think you did the right thing by putting out of his pain. I also feel the dogs weren't at fault, no one or thing was at fault. You did what you were suppose to do to protect your tort and the dogs were doing what they do, being dogs. Thanks for sharing your sad story so others will understand, the two don't mix.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
You absolutely made the right decision. Putting him through the procedure would be painful and would cause him suffering...and it wouldn't even have been certain that he would make it. And for him to live a life without his leg would be hard and he wouldn't understand. I'm sorry for your loss, but you did the most selfless thing for him and I applaud you for that.

And I know you don't hate the dogs...those were just words said during an emotional moment.

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
That's terrible. :(

I would have done the same thing (putting it to sleep). I don't have $950 for a weird "non-promising" gamble like that.

I don't mean to be a jerk saying this but truthfully it could have been foreseen to happen. We all live and learn. Dogs and Torts never mix. My best friend had two torts in his backyard for FIVE YEARS with his dogs before one day his Dalmation decided to go nuts and kill them.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
So heart-breaking. Poor Blastoise :( You did the right decision. We all need to learn not to keep torts and dogs together.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
Biff Malibu said:
That's terrible. :(

I would have done the same thing (putting it to sleep). I don't have $950 for a weird "non-promising" gamble like that.

I don't mean to be a jerk saying this but truthfully it could have been foreseen to happen. We all live and learn. Dogs and Torts never mix. My best friend had two torts in his backyard for FIVE YEARS with his dogs before one day his Dalmation decided to go nuts and kill them.

Agreed.sorry for your loss, it hurts but dogs and torts will never mix.ever.people tell me stories of dogs and tortoises getting along and sharing the yard but i would never trust an animal with my tortoise.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Oh my heart just sank as low as it can go... I am so very sorry for your loss. No words can make it any better. But... I wish you to find some peace with it soon. These story's are all to common. I hope you and your new tort will have a very happy, long life! Please show us some pic's when you get the new kid. And I am sure you made the right decision. And please feel free to ask about making a new enclousre that will be hound proof. I am sure you will get all the info you will need from these great people on the forum.
RIP little Blastoise.
You please take care!!

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Sorry for your loss!! :/ I respect the decision to put him down, always a tough decision but you made the right choice.

steven

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. I sort of feel responsible, even though I thought it was safe. It was according to the data, but its just one of those things that happen I guess. I know the dogs had no better clue to tell him from a chew toy/pet. They were my scapegoat of sorts. I will be keeping my new tort inside most of the time. But I will probably also build an animal proof enclosure.

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.