Sad Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I have a huge terrarium and love my Sulcatas. When my first Sulcata grew out of it and moved outside, I was incredibly excited to raise my next baby. Of course, I wanted the best deal. So I did my "bargain hunting" and found a guy on Craigslist selling his babies for only $40 each. That was my mistake. I should habe forked out the extra $20 for a reliable person that knew what they were doing. It was such a waste. After $400 of wasted vet bills, Ive learned the hard way. Tom, maybe you can add this to your list of "things you learned the hard way so we dont have to"

When I went to buy one from this guy, I was shocked to hear that he kept all of his sulcatas in his back yard, and simply fed them once a day. They dug their own holes for shelter, and the eggs incubated naturally. They received no vitamins, no humidity,no incubation, nothing. I never got to see what the adults looked like, and when I asked for a picture he didn't reply. That's Craigslist for you. They were probably horrifyingly pyramided.
All of the babies had weird patterned shells, many were cracked, there were tons of extra scutes; something I had never seen in Sulcata hatchlings.
Still, I ended up buying 2 from him, quantity over quality was my mindset: i picked through his huge selection of about 50 babies and picked out the least deformed ones.
one died a couple weeks later after an expensive vet trip (that's on another thread somewhere) and he was kind enough to "replace" it with another at "half price".
I just said goodbye to that "replacement" last week. He seemed healthy, but one morning I found him completely limp. I have absolutely no idea what could have happened; he was heavy, eating, pooing and active.
The other, last remaining baby tortoise has been sick for ages. I've been nursing him back to health for ages. Last week I was expecting to lose him, which is why losing his brother came as such a shock. Fortunately, I tried an "electrolyte" soak that I found the recipe for on here, and it may have saved his life. He's opened his eyes and started eating for the first time in weeks. I thought he was at least going to be blind; but he's recovered miraculously from his downfall.

Just for those wondering, he is in large terrarium with 40-80% humidity, 80-100 degrees. I feed him Mazuri, grass and lettuce. He's shown no interest in Mazuri this week, but he's been eating grass.
When his brother died, I threw out the cypress mulch that id been keeping them on and they're now on reptile carpet. I know many people say that it's not the best: but my tortoise has no interest in burrowing, he's perfectly content sleeping in his food dish, and I feel like having a mulch, dirt, bark substrate is a breeding ground for too many things, like bugs, diseases, etc. I can keep it clean much easier. I keep a humidifier turned up at all times, and he soaks daily, so I feel that the repti-carpet will suffice. That's what I kept my older sully on for 3 years, and he's thriving.

Just thought I'd share my experiences with everyone. When you're tortoise shopping, do it on here. Go to someone reputable. Look for quality. Don't let a budget allow you to settle. Don't settle. I should have walked away from that guy when I saw them, but I'm a sucker. I'm a sucker for cute disabled torts, and I'm a sucker for a good deal. And now I've had all my money and a whole lot of energy sucked out of me.

Tomorrow, I'm getting a real, healthy, beautiful baby Sulcata from a local breeder that I found here on TFO. (Don't worry, Sicky is in a hospital tank, and they will likely be separated indefinitely in case of diseases)

When I lost my second sulcata baby, I was heart broken and extremely angry: at myself. When I accepted the responsibility of bringing home baby tortoises, I had the obligation of keeping them alive and well. But I failed, and I still feel miserable for it. But I've come to realize that I've done all that I can, and I'm still doing my best. I love my tortoises. I do a lot more than the Craigslist guy, but it just wasn't enough to beat the odds. At least I'm trying, and I'm doing my research.

image-192658435.png

Sicky, alive and well, contemplating whether he wants to eat some Mazuri, or just sleep on top of it. (He later chose the latter).

EricIvins

5 Year Member
mercurysmom said:
When I went to buy one from this guy, I was shocked to hear that he kept all of his sulcatas in his back yard, and simply fed them once a day. They dug their own holes for shelter, and the eggs incubated naturally. They received no vitamins, no humidity,no incubation, nothing. I never got to see what the adults looked like, and when I asked for a picture he didn't reply. That's Craigslist for you. They were probably horrifyingly pyramided.

You do realize that this is how successful Sulcata keepers/breeders keep their animals? I have a group going since last February that I have not touched or helped in any way shape or form and they are incredibly self sufficient.......

There are alot of generalizations going on in this post, so I really don't know where to start. What were the Vets findings first and foremost?

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Extra scutes are fine, they don't affect anything at all. You may need to do a little more research before bashing someones credibility.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry that you've had such a rough time of it. I've gotta agree with Eric about the adult care. They don't need much in the right climate with the right set up.

Babies are another story, as you are very well aware. I wish you the best of luck with sicky and your future babies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry, this is happening. Fingers crossed for Sicky. Hope he makes a big turn around. He sounds like a fighter.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Austin: I didn't mean for it to sound bashing. I just wanted to share my experience. I'm sorry if it came off that way. Really though, why are people on this thread always finding something wrong with everything someone posts? It seems like every poor poster on here has a negative comment on their post when they really were only sharing or asking for help. I know that split scutes don't harm anything, I am aware of that. However, it was alarming to see that many disfigured babies. Some were severely deformed, practically pancake shaped. He assured me they'd all be fine. Maybe they would have been! But mine weren't. And something had to have not been right in order to cause all of those deformities. Perhaps adult Sulcatas walking and stepping all over the unhatched eggs? Maybe 50 degree weather? I don't know. No one knows. I was just reporting what I saw.

Eric: As far as the vet experience, when I went with the first tortoises, I was told that they were both severely dehydrated, and that it appeared they had been since birth. They'd always felt very light. The sickest one was given fluids and another injection, (I can't remember what exactly, I believe it is on another thread of mine) and he died the next day. I was unable to determine whether the vet had made a bad move or if it was simply a lost cause, either way I did what I could, spent a small fortune, and decided not to go back.

I have also heard of tortoises doing fine on their own. It's miraculous really. But even though I am in California, the weather still gets too cold for a baby tortoise to thrive. (Adults are another story. I agree they'd be fine for the most part... I'm talking about babies in this post) I myself wouldn't risk it with mine. I'm sure the breeder meant well. He was sure that what he was doing was fine. He made me feel silly for telling him about the terrarium I had them in. the humidity and heat seemed to be a compete joke to him.

Perhaps that's what did it; maybe baby tortoises that were born outside need to stay outside. I don't know. There's no way to know. But I do know that I need to be more selective as to where I purchase my tortoises, if I hope for success and health in my current set up.

Thanks for your kind words Tom and Wellington. I look forward to reporting how well my indoor-born Sulcata growth rates and health compare to Sicky's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are a lot of misunderstandings about what babies need out there in the world. Some long standing, often repeated myths, and some incorrect assumptions. It doesn't matter whether they hatch outside or in, as long as they are kept warm and hydrated as tiny hatchlings. Outdoors in SoCal is not suitable for 24/7 housing for hatchlings without some sort of supplemental heat and an elaborate set up. I wouldn't even attempt it myself. Once they get a little bigger, around 8-10", I wouldn't house them any other way than outside 24/7, with a proper set up.

I understood what you were getting at and I've seen that "type" many many times unfortunately. I show them smooth 6 month olds that are the same size or bigger than their lumpy, fruit eating, two year olds, and they still argue or shake their heads in disbelief. Its sad really. Do what you can. Try to lead by example. We here at TFO are setting new trends and the situation is improving "out there". I have made significant headway with a few "dry" breeders. Not all of them are completely resistant to new ideas. Many of them have pretty open minded view points. Pics and live animals are very useful visual aids for most of these guys.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I'm really sorry that you had to lose two sulcatas.That's never easy and it's especially heart-breaking to hear the condition of the babies he was selling. I really do hope that Sicky will get better. :')

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So sorry that you lost your babies. I hope that Sicky continues to do well. We are just now learning that a chronically dehydrated baby needs to be set up in the high humidity habitat gradually. No telling what was wrong with your babies, but it might have been too much humidity all at once.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I'm sorry you have to go through this I don't really have any advice. I'm new but my baby is really sick right now too so my best wishes are with you

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I'm truly sorry for your loss. It is always difficult to endure when we love them so much. I too just took on a deformed baby Leo. So far he is doing well but there is just no way to know what his future will be. We can only do our best and hope it is enough. I hope your other babies thrive.

MaggieofNarnia

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I am so terribly sorry for what has happened to you. When I worked with water turtles a lot, I saw this a lot and ended up with two of them. People just don't know what they are doing and are under a false impression that they are much hardier. I hope for the best with your current little guy!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Sorry for your loss, I hope all goes great for Sicky. Posts like this always make me sick inside. I am glad I got on here when I did and took the advice to take Cooper to the vet when he was little and sick. I wish you the best!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MaggieofNarnia said:
People just don't know what they are doing and are under a false impression that they are much hardier.

They ARE very hardy, if they are kept hydrated and not cold at night.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Im so sorry you had to go through all this unnecessary care...by chance are you in arizona?

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much for your kind words!

Mainey: I am in Southern California.

Emysemys: can you give me more information on gradual humidity for chronically dehydrated tortoises? I've never heard that and would really like to read up on it.

Looneybug: you're little sick one is in my thoughts as well. Thanks.

I just got a new baby today, he is 6 months old (a month younger than Sicky) and I've named him Jumbo for now. He is huge compared to Sicky, and heavy, active and happy. He seems promising, and came from a reputable breeder on here, instead of Craigslist. I look forward to having a healthy tortoise finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.