Sad news

4jean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York State
I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone on this forum. I have read and learned so much as a first time tortoise owner from all of you.

My beautiful yearling Hermans Tortoise Nelson passed away this morning. I am quite distraught and feel responsible, but I know I was taking excellent care of him based on all the info I have gotten from all of you.

He had been lethargic/ not eating/eye problems. The vet could not determine what was wrong. He was thriving this summer in his outdoor garden but became sick this winter.
All his conditions indoors/food matched the advice here, but somehow I couldn't save him.

I hope in time I will love a tortoise again, they are such amazing creatures. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423513464.701220.jpg

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
So sorry for your loss. I am sure he appreciated the love & care that you gave to him.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
So sorry.
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your specialfriend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Thank you all very much. This is so hard. I never thought this could happen. He was supposed to outlive me. Taking care of him was such a joy. I loved growing and planting things, changing his enclosure...ugh. I wish I knew what happened. No URI symptoms.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
So sorry for your loss, i hope your heart heals soon.

mini_max

Alberta, Canada
I am very sorry for your loss. No one can know what they go through before coming to us, and sometimes I think things are set in motion that we cannot undo, only delay, even with the best of care. He was very lucky to have you and hopefully some day another tortoise will get the privilege.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry about your loss. It is devastating to lose such special pets. God Bless!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
OH! ! ! !

I'm so sorry for your lost. Lots things are not in our hand even we do everything right. I'm so sorry! ! ! !

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so painful to lose a beloved pet.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand how hard it is. I am so sure you did everything for him. Hugs

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn it...that's just awful. Please accept my most sincere condolences.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Thank you all for your kind words. It is incredibly helpful to have such understanding.
There certainly are so many bigger problems in the world....but the loss of my beloved Nelson sure hurts. He was such a joy to care for. Tomorrow morning I will re read these instead of cutting up his breakfast...it will help.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
There may be bigger problems in the world but when we loose a loved one that is our biggest issue. I don't think about what else is going on when I read that someone lost a family member. I take time and grieve for them and for their loss. I want to hug the person. It's one of the hardest things. Take your time and grieve . Lean on us. Hugs :<3:

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I'm so sorry you lost your baby! It does happen periodically and is just dreadful!
You will fall in love again and when you do; your tortoise will be very lucky to be owned by you!
Condolences