Sad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Jojo, my 7 week-old sulcata hatchling died today. I brought him home from the pet store about 4 weeks ago. He was weak from day one, but it seemed like his activitiy level was picking up over the last couple of weeks. I took him to the vet two weeks ago because I was worried about him being lethargic. The vet told me that he was fine and that there was nothing to worry about. When I woke up this morning, he was barely moving and wouldn't open his eyes, so I took him to a different vet (from the CTTC vet list) today. He was pretty far gone by the time we got to the vet's office. It was difficult to tell if he was alive. We decided it was best to put him down. Tortoises tend to die slowly and I didn't want him to suffer any more than he already had.

Poor Jojo. I sent Josh an email requesting that the picture of Jojo and the T-Rex be removed from the calender. I think'll be too sad to keep it in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shelly: That's so sad! Your vet didn't offer any reason why? Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Shelly, I'm so sorry that you lost Jojo. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I'm the kind of person who looks more towards the positive so when you posted that you asked Josh to take Jojo's picture out of the calendar I thought this way...We've all come to love that picture and it would be a good way for us to remember him all year long. I think that the picture is adorable. I do understand that it might hurt you too much to leave it. I'm sorry again for your loss.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shelly I too am so sorry to hear of your loss unfortuantly some littleones are just not meant to survive long however know that he/she lived a good life while with you. I agree with Candy regarding the picture though I do understand how it would be difficult for you.
Hugs

Sudhira

5 Year Member
Oh dear, that is so very sad. How kind of you to give Jojo a peaceful landing. I hope you reconsider pulling the photo, it will be quite a loving memorial to him.

Bless you and Jojo

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Shelly... I am so sorry to hear about Jojo. I, also, understand what you are saying about the calendar picture, but I think that it is a nice final tribute to him.
I think he is in heaven with a youngster who always wanted a tortoise and didn't get a chance to have one.
God Bless
Patsy

M

Maggie Cummings

Please accept my sympathy, I too think the picture should stay in. It would be a fine tribute for him.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
That is very sad news indeed. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you gave him all the love and attention he needed during his short stay here in this life.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
K9KidsLove said:
Shelly... I am so sorry to hear about Jojo. I, also, understand what you are saying about the calendar picture, but I think that it is a nice final tribute to him.
I think he is in heaven with a youngster who always wanted a tortoise and didn't get a chance to have one.
God Bless
Patsy

Patsy, I think this might be the nicest thing I've ever heard. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for you kind words. I'll think about the calender pic. I'm just bummed out right now. Jojo should've lived to be 100 years and he only lived 7 weeks. I totally failed him. The vet couldn't offer much explanation of what killed him because he was so far gone when I brought him in. We discussed enclosure, diet, uv, everything, and couldn't figure out what the problem was. He suggested that Jojo could have caught a virus in the petshop. We'll never know.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Shelly...Please don't blame yourself. We all know you had everything set up correctly. Either he caught something from the pet shop or he was born with something. Some babies just "fail to thrive".
Big Hugs
Patsy

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Deepest sympathies..Jojo was adorable. I bet his last days were very happy because of you Shelly! You did everything you could! =]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hate to bring up an old topic but hatchlongs do have a high mortality rate even under the best conditions. They can be 50% or higher. So if your vet does not think that anything was wrong with your care I would trust his viewpoint. Also that pic is one of my favorites, it would be a shame to see it go.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Oh i am so sorry, i know how hard it is to loose a tort no matter how young, but should a pet store be seling them so young?:(

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
So sorry about your loss.

I had rescued a couple baby Snaps from basking between the yellow lines and one quickly became lethargic a week later.

$80 vet bill including a big shot in his arss and 7 days of micro pipets and that little guy (Spike) became an underdog and never looked back. Both Snaps are alive and well in the wild.

Homer

5 Year Member
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Since my Homer is also I baby, I totally get your grief.

I fret everyday that my level of care is inadequate. And that fear is only compounded when Homer goes through periods of sluggishness.

You did your very best, and from your previous posts, your best far exceeded the level of care that JoJo would have found elsewhere.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.