Is it just me, or is his shell already deformed...? :(
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/4225612952.html
00A0A_fsEqGfVTImd_600x450.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
His shell doesn't look good, he looks dry and has swollen eyes. Chino huh? I'm right there, let me check out the ad. Although I don't do boxies maybe someone else will want him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yep it is starting to curl upwards. :( :( Heather please keep us informed on what you find out about this little guy, please.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I emailed this guy just saying it has metabolic bone disease. He is very nice. He said thank you for the comment and asked what makes me think that. I told him and he replied back saying how he does use UVB and supplements with his food. He wants suggestions on how to help his little guy. I'm glad he wasn't stuck in his ways and willing to fix the problem :)

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
It is wierd, based in his supplies, it sure seems like he is doing the correct things. Is it possible the baby has a congenital issue that stops him from processing what he needs to?

Minus the rabbit pellets

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Do you know what he's using for substrate? And if water is available? There is some thinking that lack of humidity plays a part in MBD. Then there's diet....

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
These little guys need lots of water time. In the wild they spend large amounts of time swimming and basking in water. This baby is WAY dehydrated because of the pellets and no real swimming pool in his enclosure. Mine have a pool they use all the time and I still pull them out and soak them every so often, even the adults. Somone in Chino should talk this guy into giving them this boxie. The sad thing is, box turtles are very resiliant and he could live for MANY years like this and get worse and worse if nothing is changed.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Team Gomberg said:
Saleama said:
. Somone in Chino should talk this guy into giving them this boxie..

This is what I'm trying for. But I couldn't keep it.

I hope you get him. At this size he really wouldn't need that much space to rehabilitate in. He will be outdoor garden ready in a year or so. Poor baby. I wish he was in North Texas where I am. Looking at the pictures, I think it may just be a critical lack of protein in his diet. I think they feed him nothing but greens and tortoise food. He needs live foods. Bugs and slugs!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I suggested he adopts out the turtle but he can sell his supplies (the vision tank) separately to recoup his $.

I'm sure someone from my club could take him in. A few of the officers are boxie experts.

If he is bent in selling the turtle I suggested he inform the new owners of it's health condition and that I'd supply the newer owners with proper info.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Re: RE: Sad little baby boxie... Chino

Linz2491 said:
It is wierd, based in his supplies, it sure seems like he is doing the correct things. Is it possible the baby has a congenital issue that stops him from processing what he needs to?

Minus the rabbit pellets

The other important factors are what kind and how old is the uvb, and how far is the bulb from the tort. Not all UVB bulbs are created equal, they DO expire and stop putting out sufficient uvb after 6-12 months, and the they can only put uvb out so far. 8-10" is the max for the vast majority of fluorescents, and that looks like a tall enclosure.

Also, as was mentioned, dehydration and diet also play a role in deformation of the shell.

I do hope you're able to get him, Gomberg, even if it's temporary! He really needs a home that can do it right.

I'd be sorely tempted to rescue him if I had any space for another diurnal critter. :(

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
If
Somehow this could get to me (near sac) I would pay the $50 for the supplies

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Linz2491 said:
If

Where is "sac"? Sorry, I can't see locations from my phone app if it says it your avatar.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!

Team Gomberg said:
Linz2491 said:
If

Where is "sac"? Sorry, I can't see locations from my phone app if it says it your avatar.

I believe its slang for Sacramento.

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
tffnytorts said:
Team Gomberg said:
Linz2491 said:
If

I believe its slang for Sacramento.

Yes sacramento :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I can go get him ... just sent a message offering $40 for him. Poor little guy - he's breaking my heart.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

kimber_lee_314 said:
I can go get him ... just sent a message offering $40 for him. Poor little guy - he's breaking my heart.

You were the one I was going to ask to take him if he gave him to me ;)

I haven't heard back from him.