Sad day

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I spend almost zero time with my tortoise. Seriously...sometimes I go days without doing more than a simple glance into the heated house to make sure he's in there at night.
He has a heated house, fresh water, and a yard full of food and space to roam. That's good enough for him.

If you meet their needs, they will be fine. Attention and affection are NOT in their needs :)

If lack of time/attention is your issue, that doesn't affect a pet tortoise. A dog, yes. But the tortoise, no.
If you set them up properly, then you don't need to spend much time on their care.

I just want to share this so you can fully weigh your decision. :) :tort:
I completely agree. I am more interested in Charlie than he is in me. He took a little more of my time when he was little and required daily soaks, feedings, water changing, etc. Now that he lives outside, he helps himself to his own food. I make sure there is water and a heated house. We've gone on vacation and he was fine on his own.

However, I would consider how long it will be before your situation changes. How many years of school do you have left? And then you'll be busy with a job and a social life. If the situation is temporary, then I'd say keep Shelly, but if it going to be years, I would probably give her up too.

Kori5

I wouldn't do it if I were you. From what I've read your care is great and I'm sure you have those 10 min daily for her. And in a few years, maybe you'll move to a house with a big garden and you're gonna be sorry you gave her. Do you really think she will be better with someone else? I doubt it :). Please think about it and don't make a mistake you may regret.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The point is that none of us is @ShellyTheTortoise71

We cannot know the full story behind this decision. There may be college plans, there may be a house move, there may be parental pressure...

Some of us may think we would not make the same decision, and some will caution against, but without being the OP we cannot be certain.

This poster has been brave to admit that they don't think they can care properly for a tort in future. I very much doubt it has been a snap decision; there has undoubtedly been a lot of agonising before that opening post was made.

We need to respect the decision made and take care not to pile further guilt onto someone who doesn't deserve it.

Kori5

She obiviously is feeling guilty for doing it and maybe it is unecessary. Of course it is her decision but I will offer my opinion...After all, that is the point of this thread. She did ask what should she do.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Thank you so much to everyone who posted. I have really thought about this. To be honest, I've been debating about this for a year now. And yes, I might regret it. I'm sure I will, I genuinely am sad to think about giving her up. But I really don't have a choice. Im going to start looking for a job soon, and with that, school, cheerleading, college preparations, I have very little time or money to care for this tortoise. My mom will not care for my tortoise in my college years, and they are not allowed on campus. I honestly can't give her the things she needs anymore. This is one of the hardest choices I've had to make, but I'm trying to do what I think is right. And I know that I'll always miss her, and regret what I did, but deep down I'll know I did the right thing.

Last edited:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ultimately it's your decision.
You said your tort is sat in one place all the time looking miserable. If s/he does seem unhappy , the question is, WHY?. If your offering food and fresh water everyday(which takes about 10mins to do) and your enclosure size is ok then either something else is wrong with the setup or your perception of what's going on with this tort is wrong. Why don't you post photos of your enclosure, take on board any suggestions for improvements before you make your final discussion.
Do you have time at all to let the tort outside, maybe at weekends for an hour or in the evenings during the week for 30mins. School is your priority, we all know that, raising torts is very educational too if you go into it in depth.
I respect any decision you make. Good luck

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Mmm, I didn't see your last post until I posted. If your away full-time at college and nobody will look after the tort it seems you have no choice. Wish I could help.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Mmm, I didn't see your last post until I posted. If your away full-time at college and nobody will look after the tort it seems you have no choice. Wish I could help.
Thanks. I tried to let her outside, but I've recently been seeing coyotes, so I can't leave her outside unsupervised.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Was never intending to give you a guilt trip. Just wanted to make sure you had all real "time tort facts" before you decided.

You've weighed the options and decided to rehome. Ok, no problem. You've got a great resource (TFO) to find the next caretaker. Good luck and who knows, maybe you'll get to keep in touch with the next keeper. :cool:

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Maybe you could find a foster home? Then you can still visit if you find time, and in a few yeas when things settle down, maybe take the tortoise back? Just an idea, there is a reptile/amphibian rescue around me who does this quite a bit (both short and long term)

Good luck!

ShellyTheTortoise71

Maybe you could find a foster home? Then you can still visit if you find time, and in a few yeas when things settle down, maybe take the tortoise back? Just an idea, there is a reptile/amphibian rescue around me who does this quite a bit (both short and long term)

Good luck!
That sounds amazing, I wonder if I have any around me.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks. I tried to let her outside, but I've recently been seeing coyotes, so I can't leave her outside unsupervised.
So very sorry to have read such a sad story and a HARD decision to make.

Why can't you keep your tort inside? if I may ask. As very many members mentioned torts do not need that much time/attention and the rest, unlike a dog or a cat. I'd think yet again; if I were you. And I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

ShellyTheTortoise71

So very sorry to have read such a sad story and a HARD decision to make.

Why can't you keep your tort inside? if I may ask. As very many members mentioned torts do not need that much time/attention and the rest, unlike a dog or a cat. I'd think yet again; if I were you. And I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Thanks. My main issue is me being getting ready for college, having little time and soon, no one to care for her. I have her inside now, but I can't for much longer, since I'm preparing for college.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks. My main issue is me being getting ready for college, having little time and soon, no one to care for her. I have her inside now, but I can't for much longer, since I'm preparing for college.
Sorry once again. Have you made your mind up? So it seems, to me.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Don't feel guilty because you can't spend as much time as before with Shelly. As Tom said, if she has space, and the correct temps, humidity and food and water, she will be fine. I also have had a turtle that I regret having let go, because now I realise it was not necessary and I miss her. You are obviously a very good owner and who knows where and with whom Shelly may wind up?
But of course, it is up to you! I wish both of you the very best.

ShellyTheTortoise71

I've been thinking, and I spent some time with Shelly. I honestly don't think I can imagine my life without her. So, I'm going to try and find a way to keep her. I know it will be hard, but I think I can do it if I really try. I'm totally free tomorrow, so I'm going to revamp her cage and try and change the situation. If nothing changes, then I'll put her back up for adoption. I would rather keep her and work on it than give her up and regret it. After reading @Tom story, I changed my mind.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I've been thinking, and I spent some time with Shelly. I honestly don't think I can imagine my life without her. So, I'm going to try and find a way to keep her. I know it will be hard, but I think I can do it if I really try. I'm totally free tomorrow, so I'm going to revamp her cage and try and change the situation. If nothing changes, then I'll put her back up for adoption. I would rather keep her and work on it than give her up and regret it. After reading @Tom story, I changed my mind.
That sounds like great news. Keep in mind that you may not live in dorms all 4 years of college. My daughter ended up moving to an apartment after the second year and took our cat with her.

ShellyTheTortoise71

That sounds like great news. Keep in mind that you may not live in dorms all 4 years of college. My daughter ended up moving to an apartment after the second year and took our cat with her.
Ya. I talked to my mom about it, and I think she can take care of her for a year or so. Who knows, I might end up living at home during college.