Sacramento sulcata rescue mission

tortoise inquisitor

Hi all,
I am hoping to find someone who can offer back yard, habitat options for a sulcata tortoise, juvenile (we think). He (at least we were told he was a male) was rescued from the Sacramento Reptile Show. Hand written receipt, and no paperwork or care information was offered. The conditions of the entire situation, prompted rescue. So, we did. Now we have this handsome, shelled family member, and we need to know the best conditions and habitat options we can offer, and learn about in this area, so we can make him happy, healthy and safe. If anyone has any resources, or would let us come tour your happy, healthy, and safe tortoise home, we would love to oblige. We just want to do what's best for him....the pic is his introduction to a family member, which happens to be a 170lb-ish, Dogue de Bordeaux....it went beautifully and now our pup pays no attention, but the cat really wants to sleep on him...

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If you ever find yourself going south and happen to pass by the Fresno exits from the Highway, you are more than welcome to stop in and see me and my tortoises.

You can also give Felice Rood a call and see if she would allow you to come over and see her zoo - 916 421-1134. She's in Sacramento

We also have a member @Laura - who has a couple of rescued sulcatas. She's in Elk Grove. If that alert doesn't get her here to talk to you, maybe you can start a private conversation with her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...and I would be remiss if I didn't mention this: Please don't ever think that your tortoise is safe alone with the dog. Because it's not. Read this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/

We read dog/tortoise horror stories here on the forum almost weekly. My dog, Misty, doesn't pay any attention to the tortoises either, but I would never trust her to be alone with them and no supervision.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
...and I would be remiss if I didn't mention this: Please don't ever think that your tortoise is safe alone with the dog. Because it's not. Read this thread:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-dog-story.45850/

We read dog/tortoise horror stories here on the forum almost weekly. My dog, Misty, doesn't pay any attention to the tortoises either, but I would never trust her to be alone with them and no supervision.
This is what I about to say! ! ! !

Also 100% agree with your another reply. She need to come to your place and to be WOWed. :D:D:D:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Hello!! yep Im still alive. almost wasn't, but that for another time..
I live in Newcastle, near Auburn. I have three Sulcata, and I know I post pics here a long time back. Basically my pens are out by the barn, pasture area. We used 2x10 boards and braced them with 2x4 corners and used cement stakes , the metal ones with wholes in them for support as well. This make is easy to move if necc.
Pics.. I will see if I can figure out the upload process...

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome. Agree with the dog warning. I learned the hard way. My dog ignored my tortoise for years, and one day didn't. She chewed him up pretty bad, and he will always have scars. I was lucky that she didn't puncture or crush the shell.

tortoise inquisitor

You guys are awesome. Yes, we agree with the dog warnings! The nights have gotten cool, so today we converted half of the garage to a temporary safe haven at night. Heat lamp, decomposed granite, with 2x6 boards containing him. We also got some all natural tortoise pellets along with dry hay and some leafy greens. We will continue to research the best nutrition options. We are looking at converting a large area of the yard, for a house and burrow place. He has not been very active. We are making an appointment with the vet to just have him checked out. Any suggestions are welcome, so keep them coming :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The cooler weather affects activity. He'll need a heat source to keep him warmer.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you make a tort house that makes them comfortable in summer and winter, they won't need to burrow. I had a great Sulcata and a fancy shed and he never dug at all....