Sabine map turtles and "black eyed" Kohni- Mississippi maps

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Here are a few quick pictures of some young Sabine maps and some unique "black eyed" Mississippi maps. I've never before seen solid black pupils on M.maps before. It's always the typical solid white iris or with a slight line running across the eyes. These look wicked!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398527744.205709.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398527779.046872.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398527791.609703.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398527800.348700.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398527810.920851.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Those are lovely-looking turtles. I've always liked the maps. So interesting-looking.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Thanks Yvonne. I can't believe more people aren't into map turtles. So many interesting species

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Thanks Yvonne. I can't believe more people aren't into map turtles. So many interesting species

How hard it is to take care of those map turtles? Are they shallow water or deep water turtles?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
They prefer deeper water with some current. Especially when they are juveniles and older. Filtered water is a must for map turtles because shell conditions are dependent on clean water.

The babies can be kept in calm water until they reach 2-3 inches, then I move them into a larger,deeper, filtered stock tank. I always keep live aquatic plants growing along with plenty of driftwood for climbing and basking.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
They prefer deeper water with some current. Especially when they are juveniles and older. Filtered water is a must for map turtles because shell conditions are dependent on clean water.

The babies can be kept in calm water until they reach 2-3 inches, then I move them into a larger,deeper, filtered stock tank. I always keep live aquatic plants growing along with plenty of driftwood for climbing and basking.

Thank you for the info. Thank you.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Maps are cool. Too bad we can't get too many species of map turtles here.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Map turtles are hard to come by . I've been looking for a adult false map turtle (female) for two years .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's true that you simply don't see many if any maps on the market anymore these days, especially adults....especially females lol

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Ronnie is a fellow "turtle-dude," whom isn't a member of this forum, but I know he had a few of the black-eyed kohni that came from this one location. Could be a different, undescribed species or subspecies, as all of the kohni in that one location have the eyes like that.

Anyway, maybe 6 or so months ago, Ronnie sold his. Of the handful of people that got these turtles from that location, Ronnie was the only one that I knew sold them. That's why I asked.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Ronnie is a fellow "turtle-dude," whom isn't a member of this forum, but I know he had a few of the black-eyed kohni that came from this one location. Could be a different, undescribed species or subspecies, as all of the kohni in that one location have the eyes like that.

Anyway, maybe 6 or so months ago, Ronnie sold his. Of the handful of people that got these turtles from that location, Ronnie was the only one that I knew sold them. That's why I asked.

That's really interesting. I'd love to know what area he was talking about. Is it possible for you to find out for me? That would be awesome