Russian turtle is less active than 1 month ago

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Good afternoon,

I bought my russian turtle 1, 5 month ago. It ate dandelions, clovers, lettuces, carrots, plantains (everyday). I gave Nekton MSA 1 time per week, Nekton MSA + Nekton Rep 2 times per week.
I use UVB 5 percents Reptiglo, warm cables. Temp. is 30 - 28 by Celsius.
I bathed my turtle in warm water 2 times per day (everyday). Substrate: beech chips.
Turtle was active, but now it is less active than 1,5 month. It moves of course, but i am worry about....
What can I do for this problem? Or maybe it's normal. I am living in east Europe.

I would like to get the answers in my email. Thanks.

A.

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Good afternoon,

I bought my russian turtle 1, 5 month ago. It ate dandelions, clovers, lettuces, carrots, plantains (everyday). I gave Nekton MSA 1 time per week, Nekton MSA + Nekton Rep 2 times per week.
I use UVB 5 percents Reptiglo, warm cables. Temp. is 30 - 28 by Celsius.
I bathed my turtle in warm water 2 times per day (everyday). Substrate: beech chips.
Turtle was active, but now it is less active than 1,5 month. It moves of course, but i am worry about....
What can I do for this problem? Or maybe it's normal. I am living in east Europe.

I would like to get the answers in my email. Thanks.

A.

Hi,

I can't really help you with the inactivity, but I would change the substrate to coco coir, beach chips, are unsuitable for it. They attract mold very easily which is bad for your tortoise health.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would also stay away from carrots. These should not be given everyday. Only as a treat once in a great while. Try adding more to diet. Has he been cheeked for parasites?

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Thank you for answers.
I checked it...My turtle has no eggs of worms.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
So.....answer is.what can i do. I use UVB bulb, warm cables, Nekton vitamines, warm water. Diet is various.My turtle is less active than was.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Do you have an area where the Russian tortoise can get away from both the cables and the heat lamp? You need a cool side and a warm side.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
UVB lamp is turn on 9 - 21 h.
Yes, there is cold place in terrarium.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Ok, i will do it.
And one thing too...I saw, that brown spots of turtle shield (in my opinion they are deposites of calcium, but maybe i'm wrong) decreased a little.
I give vitamines in this scheme: 1day, 3, 5, 7 — Nekton MSA one half spoon, 2, 4, 6 Nekton Rep one falf spoon too.
What can i do for this problem? And how increase power of turtle's muscle? Maybe i need to do some exersices or similar (this idea is stupid, but.......).

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You could add a second story and a ramp for your tortoise to get additional exercise. Also, just increasing the size of his roaming area will give him more exercise. Place food in different spots to encourage exploration.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Thank you for answers.
I forgot some information about my turtle. It's length is 10, 5 cm, width — 9 cm, weight — 300 g (21 months ago), 400 g (1 month ago).
Terrarium: length — 80 cm, witdh — 40 cm, height — 30 - 32 cm.
Is terrarium's size good for my turtle?
Other thing, i read many literature about diet of russian turtle, but i have one question (i hope it's not very stupid): what can i give to my turtle. For example, ratio of calcium and phosphorus of spoinach is 2:1, but they have many oxalates, similar situation is with collards.
And how much food can i give to my turtle, because i saw, that brown spots of shield decreased, i give nekton msa (4 times per day) and nekton rep (3 times per day).
Next question......what can i do, if i see, that turtle grows fast. Vets say, that it's good, but i think, that it grows too fast. I don't use high proteins food.
Last question.........When my turtle eats, it's eyelids seems like swollen, but when i take my turtle from terrarium, everything is ok. Vet said, that there no eyes infections. But i used yesterday eye drops (for human), 1 small drop.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Good afternoon,

my turtle is a little more active, than she was. But i saw, that brown spots (i think mienral deposits) decrease and decrease fast. I use Nekton MSA 4 times per week and Nekton REP 3 times per week. But.Porblem is, that my turtle smell these vitamines and i need a patient with feeding.
So question is..how use these vitamines (i worry about feeding)? And how long van i use vitamines without pause........or i must make a pause?\\

Thanks for answers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is quite possible to over do it with vitamins. Just use a tiny amount, and only two or three times a week.

In my opinion, your habitat isn't big enough. And is there any way you can set him up outside during good weather?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of UV bulb are you using?

I agree with Yvonne that you are using far too much supplementation. Once a week with the vitamins and once or twice a week with calcium should be plenty.

Grocery store foods aren't the best. Look for the right kind of weeds and leaves.

That enclosure is way too small. A russian needs something closer to 122 x 144cm for indoors and even larger outdoors.

Wood chips are also not a great substrate.

Here is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Thank you for answers.
— I read one russian book about russian turtles. The author suggests give vitamine D 3 times per week, Yvonne and Tom sugesst 1 time per week. So question....How much give vitamine D: 1 time or 3 times?
— I use Reptiglo Exoterra 5 9 - 22 hours.
— And use fabric towels like a substrate.
— Last question..I understand, that cold side must be in my terrarium. But what to do, if turtle sleep in this side, for example....2 - 3 hours?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is still not even known if tortoises can absorb dietary D3. If you have proper UV available, especially real sunshine, you don't need any D3 supplementation. I don't supplement D3, I only supplement calcium, and this depends on the size, species and sex of the tortoise. More for young growing giants and adult females, less for adult males.

The exo-terra Repti-glo bulbs come in both long tube style bulbs and cfl coil type bulbs. The coil types can burn their eyes and should not be used. Which do you have?

Towels are not a good substrate. They need to be able to burrow into something that is similar to dirt. Its in the care sheet.

You should be providing the correct temperature gradient for this species and let the tortoise decide where it needs to be to regulate its temperature.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Thank you for answers..I have read a lot of information about the substrates, but i have a question: what substrate is the best for russian turtle.
And second question...How much i must give vitamine D: 1 time or 3 times per week?
I use tube lamp.
About sunshine...I live in Eastern Europe and there is overcast week.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I live in a cooler climate too, most of the year its too cold for my tortoise outside.
I give calcium with d3 twice a week. I use reptibark (also called fir bark) for my russian. You can also use top soil with no additives or cypess mulch. Coir works well too. Any of these work but you would want to make it deep enough for them to dig down into.

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Good afternoon,

i saw two days ago, that my russian turtle champs or smacks one's lip (i wouldn't say, that she breathes through the mouth, but maybe this is firts sign of it) about 3 - 4 times per 1 - 2 minutes. I gave food, but my turtle didn't eat, because she was not hungry. Turtle is active, eats well. Is it very dangerous or only physiological?