Russian torts please help

Tortface

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee
I have two russian torts CJ n FIN....CJ not eating, wont lay under heat lamp...if i take him out he will eat by hand feeding n loves it outside... which he is every other day for about n hr, n then gets a soak for about 15 min....FIN is super active. Any ideas what could be wrong w CJ. They are housed separately

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are adults they shoukd be outside every day all day in the warm months. Bring them in only at night if you don't have a shed or night box for them. If he eats and acts normal outside, he probably is depressed/unhappy being inside.

Tortface

Milwaukee
If they are adults they shoukd be outside every day all day in the warm months. Bring them in only at night if you don't have a shed or night box for them. If he eats and acts normal outside, he probably is depressed/unhappy being inside.
Thanks! Makes sense, but i do not have a covered area for them, and do have predators around..fox, hawks..so i literally sit out w them for their safety. Also bcuz they fight i take them out at separate times. Here is their outside pen

Attachments

• 3A2A712E-24F6-49C9-A87A-358877BA0687.jpeg
    3A2A712E-24F6-49C9-A87A-358877BA0687.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 83

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would put a brick divider down the middle so they can be outside at the same time. Then drape some chicken wire over it. Also putting in some tall plants will give them more cover. You could even attach some bells or cans with pebbles in them to the chicken wire to help ward off predictor. However, the chicken wire will ward off any bird and most likely the fox would hunt closer to evening. Make the enclosure bigger if you can.

Tortface

Milwaukee
I would put a brick divider down the middle so they can be outside at the same time. Then drape some chicken wire over it. Also putting in some tall plants will give them more cover. You could even attach some bells or cans with pebbles in them to the chicken wire to help ward off predictor. However, the chicken wire will ward off any bird and most likely the fox would hunt closer to evening. Make the enclosure bigger if you can.
Thanx so much...will definitely get him out more and longer periods..will also try something w the chkn wire. When i got them hadnt been outside so is good to see them enjoying it. Your ideas are very helpful, thnx for responding. Do you have russians?

Tortface

Milwaukee
Sorry, i guess i posted w a russian tort question, so would make sense that you DO have russians!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, i guess i posted w a russian tort question, so would make sense that you DO have russians!
I do have a Russian but not everyone that can help
you will have Russians. After years of being a member and reading many threads and post you learn a lot about a lot of species and those you don't have.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
you will have Russians. After years of being a member and reading many threads and post you learn a lot about a lot of species and those you don't have.
Yes very true. Also currently I care for three, three toed box turtles. But in 2003 I cared for a Russian tortoise. Then again in 2008 I was given another Russian. In 2003 I found a California Desert Toroise on a perpendicular street. All these tortoises went to different homes. So although I currently have only boxies I have experience with other species. Never underestimate the value of this forum. It is excellent. I have learned sooo much about proper husbandry from this forum. I wish I had been able to apply it all those years ago.

Tortface

Milwaukee
Absolutely have learned everything from the tort forum! I have had
Yes very true. Also currently I care for three, three toed box turtles. But in 2003 I cared for a Russian tortoise. Then again in 2008 I was given another Russian. In 2003 I found a California Desert Toroise on a perpendicular street. All these tortoises went to different homes. So although I currently have only boxies I have experience with other species. Never underestimate the value of this forum. It is excellent. I have learned sooo much about proper husbandry from this forum. I wish I had been able to apply it all those years ago.

Tortface

Milwaukee
Have learned so much from the tort forum. My torts are adopted from my grandson who became a busy teen and didnt have time to care for them as well as he had been. At first i was afraid to even pick them up...now i cant imagine NOT having them..love them so much, such little personalities.

Tortface

Milwaukee

Tortface

Milwaukee
What do you think about having vet trim the beak on my tort? Cj’s gets long...keep a cuttle bone in his food dish, also rocks around...my other torts looks fine but Cj’s looking too long..watched video on how I could do it but freaks me out as I wouldn’t want to hurt him

Tortface

Milwaukee
Thanx so much...will definitely get him out more and longer periods..will also try something w the chkn wire. When i got them hadnt been outside so is good to see them enjoying it. Your ideas are very helpful, thnx for responding. Do you have russians?

Tortface

Milwaukee
I hav started process of making outdoor pen larger and to divide it. Its close to house so i dont feel they will be threatened by predators but bcuz im their ‘mom’ i still worry. My husband will put up chkn wire for top so i dont have to be out with them all the time, so means they can be out much longer. CJ still slow, not eating much unless hand fed...n in his hut alot..going to hav his beak trimmed by vet next week..thnx again!!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
You might consider deer wire rather than chicken wire, if you are strongly concerned about predators.

Tortface

Milwaukee
You might consider deer wire rather than chicken wire, if you are strongly concerned about predators.
Thanks, we have fox n hawks around...i dont think fox would come as close to the house as the torts pen is...but hawks I’ve seen take birds out of my neighbors feeder. Thnx for the input

Tortface

Milwaukee
Is regular top soil ok to mix w coco coir for my russian torts?