Russian tortoises

mads3732

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington
My boy is very picky and grumpy. He could sleep for the rest of his life if I let him. Lol

jUMPSu1t

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
If a tortoise is stuck on certain "greens", try chopping up their food into bite-size pieces, and mixing the pieces. The tortoise will probably grab a mouthful and get a little of everything. They do need a variety, and they also should not be eating "the white part of lettuce". It's good for hydration and that's about it - not any better than iceberg lettuce. If a tortoise already has a water dish and gets regular baths/soaks, I cut out the "rib" of each leaf when I feed them grocery store greens.
Try chopping up (chemical-free) lawn grass, or put a handful of dried grass hay (Oxbow or Kaytee are acceptable) in a blender or food chopper, or cut into tiny pieces with a knife or scissors, then soak in water till the hay is soft, then mix that in with their chopped greens. That will help increase fiber and lower protein - both critical elements in most tortoise diets.
My tortoises will not eat grass. They will, however, munch on the weeds in our yard, to the point where we joke about letting the tortoises out to do the weeding themselves. We feed them either "country greens" or dandelion greens, and they like the large dandelion stalks especially. My tortoises do show affection for orange foods, especially carrots and sweet potatoes. Working together, they can finish a whole carrot in a day! My male Russian, Prism, seems to dig more than my female, Crystal, right now, and I'm wondering why. He has a dig box and he digs in there sometimes, but he also digs into the substrate. Odd.