Russian tortoises that are picky eaters!

A_lisabeth

Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this. Our family has two Russian tortoises, Toothless and Shredder. We've had them for almost a year. They have always been finicky about their food. Love Love Love the dandelion feasts in the spring and summer, but struggle to try anything new. Typically they dig red and green leaf lettuce and kale occasionally. We've tried hens and chicks and other succulents and they both turn their noses up at them. We live in WA so can't grow much in fall/winter. I'd love ideas.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
salutations.
I suspect the weather change is the culprit. Temp, and light cycle change. What are you r temps? How long are the lights on? Indoors, or outdoors?
Excelsior!

mitsymoo0309

Hi! I would try Komodo Supplement pellets! You can get them from amazon or eBay and they aren't that expensive! Mitsy didn't eat for two month when I first got her but now if she has greens and things with a few of these she will eat anything! If you do decide on these don't expect them to eat them straight away, just keep trying them with it and hopefully they will start eating it!

A_lisabeth

Washington State
Temp in the cage sits around 80, at night it can dip of course down to 65ish. Lights are on from 7:30 am to about 10pm. No outdoors, too wet and the temps are pretty low. During winter we do tend to leave the basking lamp on at night and keep temp around 75. I totally get the hibernation cycle and they are definitely getting there, much less active.

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
Temp in the cage sits around 80, at night it can dip of course down to 65ish. Lights are on from 7:30 am to about 10pm. No outdoors, too wet and the temps are pretty low. During winter we do tend to leave the basking lamp on at night and keep temp around 75. I totally get the hibernation cycle and they are definitely getting there, much less active.
You shouldn't leave the lights on at night, if it gets too cold you should get a CHE on a thermostat and it will solve that, I personally just bought a new thermostat and CHE and it was all very cheap if you are willing to do the work yourself. I can post pictures in the daytime tomorrow but basically I paid $14 for the thermostat, $7 for the CHE, $1.98 for the ceramic socket and $22 on a waterproof electrical box then about $15 on wire and wire nuts. I bought the more expensive box because I needed it to house 2 thermostats but a lot of people online just use Tupperware or you can make a wooden box or just about anything to cover the wires. But yeah they should sleep with the light off or else they will feel that the day is lasting 24hr and they will get stressed out.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
There's your problem! Russians need a spot of 85 and above to properly digest food. :) I think it's getting too cold at night, too...
It may also be part of the winters fault. Most russians in captivity are slowing down if they're not hibernating, which can affect diet :)

biscuit-da-tort

idaho
Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this. Our family has two Russian tortoises, Toothless and Shredder. We've had them for almost a year. They have always been finicky about their food. Love Love Love the dandelion feasts in the spring and summer, but struggle to try anything new. Typically they dig red and green leaf lettuce and kale occasionally. We've tried hens and chicks and other succulents and they both turn their noses up at them. We live in WA so can't grow much in fall/winter. I'd love ideas.
Try chopped up baby carrots. ;) I'm also new, but Tortoise forums is great.