Russian tortoise yearling coco coir issue

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
I have a couple Russian tortoise yearlings that seem to be having some eye issues. I keep all my adults on cypress and my hatchlings I've always kept on coco coir because I like its ability to hold humidity and it's not as messy as dirt or some other substrates. I've never had issues before, but this is the longest I've ever kept hatchlings, I usually only keep them a few weeks. The two yearlings seem to be itching at their eyes more than usual and seem agitated by them. Has anyone had any eye issues related to coco coir or any other ideas what might be causing this? Temps are fine, they are eating and pooping fine, everything else seems to be on par.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What kind of uvb lights are yiu using? If its tge coil type thats your problem .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 20 russians ranging in age from about 3 months to just over a year. All of them are on plain coco coir with nothing else. I've had some of them since June and others I got in August and September. I've had not one issue so far. I've also started dozens of sulcatas and leopards on coco coir and had zero issues with them too.

Are you using a coil type cfl bulb for UV?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Not using coil bulbs. I'm using power suns, been using them for years. (Different bulbs of course)

Tom, I didn't know you had Russians, are you breeding them? Is there a thread about it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jeffbens0n said:
Not using coil bulbs. I'm using power suns, been using them for years. (Different bulbs of course)

Tom, I didn't know you had Russians, are you breeding them? Is there a thread about it?

I'm just starting out with several groups of hatchlings and yearlings right now. It will be many years before I get any babies. I think I did a thread about it. I will search for it after I submit this post.

This and the care sheet are all I could find.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80693.html

I guess I need to do a thread...