Russian tortoise won't come out of egg

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
image.jpeg My tortoise laid 2 eggs,1 hatched on day 67,the other egg didn't.
I came home from work on Saturday to find the tortoise had made a hole big enough to put his head through,but was making no attempt to get out,This was day 80 of incubation
Last night I made the hole bigger to see if I could see if anything is wrong but it looks ok,except there was some of the egg sac left,which now looks as if it's nearly gone now.
He's making no attempt to get out at all,so should I leave him longer or is there anything else I can do
I have been giving him drops of water on a cotton but haven't given him food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If I have one like that and the yolk is still fairly large, I gently crack the egg around the middle and remove the top portion, leaving the tortoise sitting in the bottom portion. Usually, once the yolk has absorbed, the baby will move around and get out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I leave them alone. They will come out when they are ready.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
If I have one like that and the yolk is still fairly large, I gently crack the egg around the middle and remove the top portion, leaving the tortoise sitting in the bottom portion. Usually, once the yolk has absorbed, the baby will move around and get out.
I leave them alone. They will come out when they are ready.
Thank you both,he's happily sitting in his dish in the incubator,I'll wait until he's ready to come out by himself.