Russian Tortoise with Worms in Feces

Steph379

Location (City and/or State)
Fishers, Indiana
Hello,

My Russian tortoise had a soak today and I noticed him expel feces with worms in it. I am hoping to make an appointment with our veterinarian but is there anything I can do in the meantime? He eats regularly and poops regularly.

Attachments

• 45357506-A578-4CBE-9307-4C441308AB72.jpeg
    45357506-A578-4CBE-9307-4C441308AB72.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HOLY COW!!!!! I'd say there are a few parasites there!!!

I've used Panacur dewormer on tortoises. I buy it at the feed store and it's for horses. A tube lasts a very long time when used for tortoises. It's the same formula no matter what animall, however, it comes in different strengths, so it wouldn't be a good idea to give you the mg per kg recipe on the Forum. By all means, have your vet de-worm the tortoise the first time, but after that, if it's ever needed again, you can probably do it yourself. NOrmally you treat once then again in 10 days to get any that have hatched since the first treatment.

Steph379

Fishers, Indiana
HOLY COW!!!!! I'd say there are a few parasites there!!!

I've used Panacur dewormer on tortoises. I buy it at the feed store and it's for horses. A tube lasts a very long time when used for tortoises. It's the same formula no matter what animall, however, it comes in different strengths, so it wouldn't be a good idea to give you the mg per kg recipe on the Forum. By all means, have your vet de-worm the tortoise the first time, but after that, if it's ever needed again, you can probably do it yourself. NOrmally you treat once then again in 10 days to get any that have hatched since the first treatment.
Thank you!!!