Russian tortoise will not stop running

Dovydas

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin
I have a russian tortoise of about 2-3 years and it will not stop running around and climbing the corners of its enclosure. What does this mean?

Dovydas

Dublin
The enclosure is a meter and a bit long and around 50cm wide, idk what the temperature is but it has a basking spot and some cooler areas in its enclosure and no im not using a coil bulb. Is the enclosure too small? The tort is still about 10cm long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't do meter or cm.
So it needs to be 4x8 foot.
The temps need to be known, not guessed.
He needs a basking temp of 95-100F
All over temp ranging from 75 to 80F
Night temps can drop into the 60'sF

Dovydas

Dublin
I don't do meter or cm.
Night temps ca
I don't do meter or cm.
I will try make a bigger enclosure but idk if it will be 4x8foot. Basking temp is

Dovydas

Dublin
I don't do meter or cm.
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The enclosure is a meter and a bit long and around 50cm wide, idk what the temperature is but it has a basking spot and some cooler areas in its enclosure and no im not using a coil bulb. Is the enclosure too small? The tort is still about 10cm long.
Yes. That enclosure is much too small. That would be a good size for a tiny hatchling.

Pics will help us to give you a better answer about why he's so over-active.

What type of UV bulb are you using and how close is it to the tortoise?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well, good luck to this tortoise.

Dovydas, please take time and read the care sheets for this tortoise so that he has a chance to thrive with you as his owner. Specific conditions must be kept so that he can be healthy, or else, he will not survive. Just take the time and learn the right way to keep him, and you will both benefit.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Please post pictures. There are a multitude of reasons as to why he would present this type of behavior.
From experience; my Russian had to adjust to his enclosure, I also had him on the ground in my room so he would let me know how cold he was at night. Scratching at the corners.. other disruptive behavior. Now getting to know my Russian he is such a well behaved tort. He has a human schedule wakes up between 8-9 am and goes to sleep roughly around 7:30-8 pm. Lights on 8 am lights off 8-9 and it’s extremely peaceful. He gets breakfast when lights go on, and I have my hatchling started on the same schedule who is also doing fantastic!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
One thing I must mention***
Get to know your tortoise so you can learn what is best for your tort. All torts are different. Even the same species. (When it comes to their individual needs and wants)
Some might like different substrate while others like the same that is recommended. Maybe you need to adjust the heat, enclosure size, and substrate and see what if any improvements are made. Also, Russians can be picky eaters. Maybe your russian needs a good grassy/ weed diet. Try adding in some mazuri pellets damped in a flat saucer for your tort. Provide plenty of hides. My russian loves his plant tree he hides under it most of the day in his basking area. Also loves to climb on rocks, eat off of a rock instead of a plastic plant saucer or a regular clay one.

Dovydas

Dublin
Well, good luck to this tortoise.

Dovydas, please take time and read the care sheets for this tortoise so that he has a chance to thrive with you as his owner. Specific conditions must be kept so that he can be healthy, or else, he will not survive. Just take the time and learn the right way to keep him, and you will both benefit.
All she needs is a bigger enclosure which she is getting very soon.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
All she needs is a bigger enclosure which she is getting very soon.
OK then, it's good that you already know what is best for her. Most people come here to gain knowledge about their tortoises, I certainly did, and have learned a great deal. Good luck.

Dovydas

Dublin
OK then, it's good that you already know what is best for her. Most people come here to gain knowledge about their tortoises, I certainly did, and have learned a great deal. Good luck.

Dovydas

Dublin
I think my tortoise is costipated. i noticed she hasent pooped in about a week. Im giving her warm water soaks each day.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Most tort problems are because of things we do or don't do for them. I don't know if you've already read this since you joined but here is the up to date caresheet you need to give your tort the best chance of thriving.

You need a digital thermometer/hygrometer so that you always know what temp your enclosure is at tort level so that he doesn't get too cold or overheat - both of which can have devastating consequences. I also have a digital temp gun so that I can spot check the 4 temps around his enclosure.
What lamps are you using? Do you have night heat? If you post pics you'll get good feedback so that you can ensure your enclosure is as safe as possible for your tort.