Russian Tortoise vs Greek Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsey Turner

I am interested in getting another tortoise. I saw one at the pet store and absolutely fell in love with it. The girl there seemed to have no idea about the tortoise. No history on it, and the tag said it was a Greek, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the Greek and the Russian tortoises. So anyways, I just wanted to know if I do decide to buy the Greek, would I be able to put it in with my Russian? Like would I have to buy a whole other cage for the Greek? And is there a difference between Russians and Greeks.

Lindsey Turner

If anyone could get me answers, I would like to know if it is safe to put 2 tortoises together all the time? I would like to get another one but don't have much space to put a whole other tank. Thank you

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not a good idea to keep tortoises in pairs. Especially Russians as they are very territorial. I would recommend against it.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Your welcome, besides I don't recommend keeping different species in the same enclosure. Pathogen outbreaks can and have happened.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Your Russian would interpret any other tortoise as moving in on his/her territory and would try to push, bite, or bully the new tort into leaving.

Russians need lots of space and a variety of ramps, greenery, turns, and other things of interest in their enclosures. If your tort can not wonder around, climb, hide, and dig, then your enclosure needs to be enlarged or upgraded. I like to add a second story to my Russian enclosures. All 5 of my Russians have a second story and a ramp/stairs to give them exercise and a better variety of places to hide. And all 5 have separate enclosures indoors for the winter. Outdoors you may be able to have some in the same enclosure if it's 20' x 30' or larger.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Your Russian would interpret any other tortoise as moving in on his/her territory and would try to push, bite, or bully the new tort into leaving.

Russians need lots of space and a variety of ramps, greenery, turns, and other things of interest in their enclosures. If your tort can not wonder around, climb, hide, and dig, then your enclosure needs to be enlarged or upgraded. I like to add a second story to my Russian enclosures. All 5 of my Russians have a second story and a ramp/stairs to give them exercise and a better variety of places to hide. And all 5 have separate enclosures indoors for the winter. Outdoors you may be able to have some in the same enclosure if it's 20' x 30' or larger.
Could you please post pictures of your indoor enclosures with the second story? I plan to do that for my Russian next winter but I need some ideas. My house is small so I can't go bigger without going up :) I think it would also give my tortoise good exercise which she does not get much in the winter being indoors. Pictures would be wonderful. Thanks.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'll try to take a few shots. You can also check out the enclosure section on this forum for ideas. Remember it doesn't have to be pretty just functional. I build my second stories so that the ramps and the entire second story can be removed for cleaning or remodeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.