Russian Tortoise Vomiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
I've had my tortoise Miska for over a year and have had no problems. She's about 5 years old. I came home from work to discover she has vomited. It was the food I gave her earlier. I gave her some banana, kale, and carrots. This was the first time giving her some
banana so I'm guessing that could be the cause but don't want to diagnose just yet. I'm hoping its just the banana that made her vomit and it's nothing serious. Advice please in what to do. Waiting to see if it continues and if it does then ill take her to the vet.

The picture is her as of now after her vomiting episode.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372942189.618624.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
i have never heard of a tortoise vomiting. I wasn't aware that they could.

Russians should never be fed banana though.

Your tort cannot digest sugars properly. It gives them bad gut problems, but this shows in the poop usually. Fruit, including bell pepper and tomato, and carrot should only be fed very occasionally. Banana is pretty much pure sugar and should never be fed.

Your tortoise's diet should be almost entirely leafy greens. They love fruit, but it isn't good for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi glittertortoise:

I'm not sure that Miska is a Russian tortoise. Can we see some more pictures of the tortoise? Take one from up above looking straight down on her carapace. Then turn her over and take another looking straight down on her plastron.

If the vomiting was just a one time thing, I really don't think there's much to worry about. But if she keeps it up, a visit to a reptile vet would be in order.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yvonne G said:
I'm not sure that Miska is a Russian tortoise. Can we see some more pictures of the tortoise? Take one from up above looking straight down on her carapace. Then turn her over and take another looking straight down on her plastron.
seeing the picture on a bigger screen than my cellphone, I am not sure either.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
That looks like a desert tortoise to me.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
View attachment 48229

View attachment 48230

To be honest when I was looking at pictures of Russians I wasn't sure she was either but when my mom got her from a lady who had like a tortoise habitat that's what she told my mom and so that's what we've been going with. But here are pics maybe you can figure it out haha

And so far she's been normal again so it might have just been the banana.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1372947448.135165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1372947489.319719.jpg

Here are the pics again it didn't work correctly before.

Last edited by a moderator:

RussTort

10 Year Member!
I don't know what species that it is but there is no way that is a russian.

Whatever it is, good luck. He is vomiting and seems to have pyramiding.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I would start giving her some regular soaking. Very dry.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I also think this is not a Russian tortoise. Looks like a desert tortoise (either Gopherus agassizii or G. morafkai).

In any case, neither Mediterranean tortoises like Russians (Testudo spp.) nor North American tortoises like the desert tortoise (Gopherus spp.) are well-equipped to handle starchy fruits like bananas. Every once in a (like on a monthly basis), they can eat juicier fruits like cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, raspberries, or grapes. Grated carrots are fine as a monthly treat, too. But a banana is not really good for them.

Redfoots and other forest tortoises are adapted to eating more fruit, and are kind of famous for liking bananas. That's fine for them, as long as it's not too often, and as long as they get a good amount of calcium in their diet (bananas contain a lot of phosphorus and not much calcium). However, grassland tortoises like Testudo, Gopherus, sulcatas, stars, and radiateds should not be getting bananas.

Hopefully your guy feels better now. Remember, Testudo spp. should be eating mostly forbs. The kale you offered is fine, but they should be getting other leafy greens, too. As for Gopherus spp., they are predominantly grazers (grass-eaters), but also feed on broad-leaved weeds, legumes, flowers, cacti, and occasionally fruit.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Does not look like a Russian to me

bingbongbibidybobbo

5 Year Member
I wouldn't panic unless this happens again. My Russian once vomitted and I rushed him straight to the vets because I was told if a tortoise vomits its serious because they arnt "built" to vomit. The vet told me this was rubbish and it was basically because he'd stuffed himself stupid too quickly. Dont panic, observe and give him/her a nice soak to replenish any fluid loss

Sent from my GT-N7100 using TortForum mobile app

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you for everyone's feed back its really helping! I soaked her and let heroism outside she's doing good now :)

Let her outside***

Laura said:
good soaking... and is it possible it got overheated???

where are you located?

I live in Las Vegas! It is very hot but I put her inside during the hottest times.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Be very cautious; excessive heat could have caused the vomiting. She needs lots of water to self soak when outdoors and a cool burrow to hide in during the heat.

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My first thought was "Chaco" too, however the front leg scales are bigger on a Chaco. This tortoise has smooth, small leg scales. Since it comes from a back yard breeder, maybe its a cross between a chaco and a desert tortoise.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yvonne G said:
My first thought was "Chaco" too, however the front leg scales are bigger on a Chaco. This tortoise has smooth, small leg scales. Since it comes from a back yard breeder, maybe its a cross between a chaco and a desert tortoise.

I also think the forelimb scales are more like those of a desert tortoise. The profile of the head is deeper, too: more like a desert tortoise than a Chaco. The color and patterning (or lack thereof) is rather Chaco-like, but desert tortoises also lack patterning. Shells that are normally dark stay light indoors, and vice versa, so I think this is a desert tortoise.

I've never heard of a Gopherus x Chelonoidis hybrid, but there are lepracuttas out there, so I suppose it's possible. But I don't think it's necessary to invoke hybridization here. This looks like a regular desert tortoise to me. Actually, probably G. agassizii rather than G. morafkai.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. I have 8 desert tortoises, and this tortoise doesn't look like any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.