Russian Tortoise suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
So I'm working on my new enclosure for my 2 russians, if there is anything wrong with it please tell me :).

The substrate will be mainly eco earth, at the other side of it there will be timothy hay, and in the middle I was going to have a few large rocks for them to climb on(I will make sure they can't hurt themselves). I will of course have a water dish and I was thinking of filling a litter box with soil and planting a few good plants for them to munch on in it.(any suggestions on 5 nutritious plants?)

I will admit to not knowing a lot about the tortoises when I got them a few years ago, I used basking lamps with heat bulbs for warmth and UVB strip bulbs. What is the recommended heat source for them because I don't want to be doing the wrong thing for them? Also is there a good online store to buy UVB bulbs? at the pet store they are very expensive and knowing with saltwater atleast, things tend to be cheaper online.

Thanks

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
IMO, the best enclosure for russians is outside. But if you need to make a indoor enclosure, then I would do the eco earth, all the way across the enclosure. Or do half eco earth, half aspen. I don't see a problem with a few rocks in there as long as you make sure they can not flip over, get out, etc. I use seeds from www.carolinapetsupply.com and www.turtlecafe.com just make sure you have back ups because they will clear the plants fast. As for lights I do not know of any cheap online places, but check out the two in one bulbs, or take your torts outside everyday, then you wouldn't need a uvb bulb and a regular 60 watt bulb should do the trick for warmth.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
IMO, the best enclosure for russians is outside. But if you need to make a indoor enclosure, then I would do the eco earth, all the way across the enclosure. Or do half eco earth, half aspen. I don't see a problem with a few rocks in there as long as you make sure they can not flip over, get out, etc. I use seeds from www.carolinapetsupply.com and www.turtlecafe.com just make sure you have back ups because they will clear the plants fast. As for lights I do not know of any cheap online places, but check out the two in one bulbs, or take your torts outside everyday, then you wouldn't need a uvb bulb and a regular 60 watt bulb should do the trick for warmth.

I live in PA where the weather can be pretty nasty and our yard will turn into a swamp sometimes. I've wanted to make an outdoor enclose, but not really sure how I'd do it.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Being that you live in PA, you will have to have a large indoor enclosure and then make one for outside when it is nice outside. Inside I would build a large table, In deciding how large to make it you should think about how many you have, how large they will be when adults, extra. I would get 1x2's or 2x4's and build a frame, and then hammer plywood or other sheet goods to the sides and bottom, then stain or paint and cover in a polyurathane coat, to prevent warping from water. For outside you could do the same thing but instead of putting wood on the bottom use chicken wire or other metal cloth & then make a top, so they are secured. Then fill it half way or more with soil/substrate, so if they are out there in the rain it will drain and they won't get to soggy, just provide hides that are waterproof. Here are pictures of some of mine, the one is a three story but the boxes would be the same consept.
0502081703.jpg

0514081859a.jpg

0514081859b.jpg

0227081323.jpg

023.jpg

Hope it helps.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
Being that you live in PA, you will have to have a large indoor enclosure and then make one for outside when it is nice outside. Inside I would build a large table, In deciding how large to make it you should think about how many you have, how large they will be when adults, extra. I would get 1x2's or 2x4's and build a frame, and then hammer plywood or other sheet goods to the sides and bottom, then stain or paint and cover in a polyurathane coat, to prevent warping from water. For outside you could do the same thing but instead of putting wood on the bottom use chicken wire or other metal cloth & then make a top, so they are secured. Then fill it half way or more with soil/substrate, so if they are out there in the rain it will drain and they won't get to soggy, just provide hides that are waterproof. Here are pictures of some of mine, the one is a three story but the boxes would be the same consept.
0502081703.jpg

0514081859a.jpg

0514081859b.jpg

0227081323.jpg

023.jpg

Hope it helps.

How big should an indoor enclosure be for 2 russians? Thanks.

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Also, how moist should I keep the eco-earth? I remember someone said to just pour somewater in it everyday and mix it up?

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Another question, how often should I replace my UVB bulbs?

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alright thanks a lot, http://russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm was helpful. One last question, if I planned to make an outdoor enclosure next summer how would I keep it warm on those colder days?(our summer in Pitt has been wierd june was very hot and humid and now in August it is cold)

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
Hi James,
I grew up in Ohio, The summers in PA should be just fine, except the days big rain storms move through. You could bring them in those days or build their hide box up several inches higher than the ground around them. Make sure the lid or roof is watertight.
I know how much water those summer storms can bring.

A few days of cloudy weather won't be a problem with lack of sun.

jamest0o0 said:
Alright thanks a lot, http://russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm was helpful. One last question, if I planned to make an outdoor enclosure next summer how would I keep it warm on those colder days?(our summer in Pitt has been wierd june was very hot and humid and now in August it is cold)

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alright, the last few days have actually been cold enough to see your breath though. Thanks

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
As far as sources for UVB's...PetMountain.com has ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent tube lights for about $20. Do not use ReptiGlo 10 nor any coils nor compact lights. They have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems.

For outdoor heat...I got some Dogloo doghouses that I can remove the cap on the top & run a cord thru so I can put a heat light inside. I will silicone around the cord to make it water tight.

You might want to make a turtle table...make it an inch or 2 narrower than your door and 6' or 8' long, with wheels on the bottom so you can take it in & out according to the temperature.
Good luck
Patsy

jamest0o0

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
K9KidsLove said:
As far as sources for UVB's...PetMountain.com has ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent tube lights for about $20. Do not use ReptiGlo 10 nor any coils nor compact lights. They have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems.

For outdoor heat...I got some Dogloo doghouses that I can remove the cap on the top & run a cord thru so I can put a heat light inside. I will silicone around the cord to make it water tight.

You might want to make a turtle table...make it an inch or 2 narrower than your door and 6' or 8' long, with wheels on the bottom so you can take it in & out according to the temperature.
Good luck
Patsy

Ugh, so I can't use http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=363 which I have?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jamest0o0 said:
K9KidsLove said:

Good luck
Patsy

Ugh, so I can't use http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=363 which I have?

Sure the ReptiSun 10.0 is fine to use It is the ReptiGlo 10.0 you want to stay away from.

Status
Not open for further replies.