Russian Tortoise Sleeping A Lot During Summer

Frantastic

Location (City and/or State)
Barry
Hi all.

So I've had little Fran for a couple of months now and after overcoming a nasty bout of worms, finally growing in size again, putting on weight properly, having an enclosure overhaul and generally doing very well since coming to me, I'm a little worried about her.

She seems to be sleeping an awful lot during the day time. Given that it's summer here currently (Wales, UK) and heat shouldn't be an issue (her enclosure temperatures are usually around 30-31c and 35-36% humidity), it seems a little worrying that she's only awake for a few hours before she scuttles off into her bedroom and nods off again. Sometimes she'll be awake for another few hours in the afternoon or evening.

I'm a little worried that the enclosure isn't suitable for her. I've bought everything I can to keep her comfortable and she has a 100w bulb on for 12 hours a day, as well as a UV bulb because there isn't a lot of natural light in my bedsit. There's not much wind either but I do try to open the windows to let some fresh air in whenever I can. I'm also not sure if her 'drawer' is actually big enough or stimulating enough for her. I've been told torts don't really like change and are unsettled by it but I do try to include a few new sticks, rocks and layouts every few weeks as she loves to climb. Lately though, she's just been getting more lethargic, less curious and even less active.

Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to give Fran a nice, happy little life. Pics of her 'drawer' below.

Also, please excuse the mess. I'm cleaning her out today.

IMG_20200618_151341_1.jpgIMG_20200618_151309.jpgIMG_20200618_151254.jpg

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi all.

So I've had little Fran for a couple of months now and after overcoming a nasty bout of worms, finally growing in size again, putting on weight properly, having an enclosure overhaul and generally doing very well since coming to me, I'm a little worried about her.

She seems to be sleeping an awful lot during the day time. Given that it's summer here currently (Wales, UK) and heat shouldn't be an issue (her enclosure temperatures are usually around 30-31c and 35-36% humidity), it seems a little worrying that she's only awake for a few hours before she scuttles off into her bedroom and nods off again. Sometimes she'll be awake for another few hours in the afternoon or evening.

I'm a little worried that the enclosure isn't suitable for her. I've bought everything I can to keep her comfortable and she has a 100w bulb on for 12 hours a day, as well as a UV bulb because there isn't a lot of natural light in my bedsit. There's not much wind either but I do try to open the windows to let some fresh air in whenever I can. I'm also not sure if her 'drawer' is actually big enough or stimulating enough for her. I've been told torts don't really like change and are unsettled by it but I do try to include a few new sticks, rocks and layouts every few weeks as she loves to climb. Lately though, she's just been getting more lethargic, less curious and even less active.

Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to give Fran a nice, happy little life. Pics of her 'drawer' below.

Also, please excuse the mess. I'm cleaning her out today.

View attachment 297756View attachment 297757View attachment 297758
You may need a bigger enclosure. Someone who knows about Russians will answer soon!?

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
She is a baby and needs much higher humidity. The best way to do that is making a closed top. There are many different threads on here about how to make one. The humidity should be around the 70-80%. The enclosure might be a little small. What is the size of your tort and enclosure. It looks like you are using top soil, just make sure you get some that is not toxic and no perlites. Top soil is not the best substrate because you do not know what is made off. Good options are coco coir, cypress mulch, or orchid bark. Russian Tortoises also go through a lethargic time during the summer so it might be that. If he stops eating and/or drinking then take him to the vet.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
What UVB bulb do you have? You seem to have the right one, HO type bulbs are the only safe and effective bulbs. Taking her outside for 30 mins a week also helps a lot to prevent MBD. Here is a good care sheet for your tort https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
Humidity is very important and with out correct levels, your tort will become pyramided.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
The ambient temps are good but make sure you have a basking spot of around 33,34 degrees. I like how pretty you made her enclosure. I love the rocks and plants!