Russian tortoise sick?

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My russian has been causing me to worry, little tiny water bubbles in corner of eyes, sounds of belly rumbling or something like that, kind of sounded like a burp but his mouth was closed. Also he will open his mouth very little but without any noise, sometimes I hear a click sound which I believe will be his beak against his bottom mouth part.

Also when he was eating his gums were a pale-ish pink and I am just worried of respiratory infection or that he will just drop dead. I am currently waiting to hear back from my boyfriend if we will be able to take him to the vet this week. He has the right basking temp and coco chip and cypress mulch for substrate. I have been misting the middle area of his enclosure for humidity reasons but stopped that Saturday incase that was causing an issue. He isn't a baby so I didn't think humidity would be necessary but tried to create that kind of environment just in case.

Usually Arnold will sleep a lot most of day, but today he has been very active walking around and basking under the light, which he hasn't done since I got him a few weeks ago.

I live in Florida and the past few days have been rainy and cloudy so he hasn't been getting the UVB that he needs. I am getting the powersun mv bulb hopefully today if it's in stock at the pet store, if not I will be ordering, to use on days that are cloudy or
stormy. I generally give him a warm water soak every other day but am now going to be doing everyday.

Today, I let him have a slice of cucumber along with his bath to try to keep him hydrated. For his diet, I've been giving him spring mix and artichoke while I continue to wait for his balcony garden to be ready to harvest. I did let him eat some of the sproutings today which he mowed down!

I do not drive due to fear and anxiety so I have to wait until my boyfriend has a day off so we can go to the vet, should be sometime this week. I believe he was sick when I bought him, not knowing of course, due to the awful living conditions at the exotic pet shop. I have done research to make sure his substrate and basking light are safe and at the right temp which is in the 90-95F range everyday.

If there is any home treatment I can do or products to buy to help medicate him such as eye drops or anything like that then please let me know because we are willing to pay for anything that will help him get better and be healthy. Vet costs are expensive but if it means it will make him a healthy tortoise then it is worth
every dollar. ImageUploadedByTortForum1396287071.124599.jpg

The picture was from days ago, eating spring mix and artichokes. Basking bulb is at 92 F everyday. Sometimes I'll adjust it to make it 95 or 90 depending on temperature of the room at the time. Sometimes the ac is on so that's when I adjust basking temp.

I also sprinkle repashy calcium&vitamin powder twice weekly on his food but he also has cuttlebone access 24/7 but won't eat from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
UVB comes through clouds so don't hesitate to put him out just because the sun is not shining through. If you can, find a way to get him outside more than inside and remember, Russians are sort of like box turtles in that they need a cool down period at night. If your house is around 70 he should do just great at that temp for the night time.

Are his eyes swollen or just leaking? You also might want to give him a substrate he can dig down under. They need that.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
At night I do not have any heat on in his table enclosure, I just get worried if the ac and my fan running might make him too cold.

And okay then he will definitely be outside even if it is cloudy.

He has coco chip and cypress mulch(forest floor bedding from petsmart) I tried using nature care from Home Depot potting mix
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Nature-s-Care-8-qt-Organic-Potting-Mix-71678120/204698453/

that does not have perlite or chemicals, this was recommended on here for growing his food so I put some in his old enclosure thinking he would love to dig in it but he took two bites and I removed him immediately and then took the potting mix out immediately as well. I was not okay with him eating that and made me worried sick. I am nervous about trying peat moss and sphagnum because I am just too afraid if he might try to eat it.

I don't like the mulch or coconut chips because I feel like it would hurt his eyes or any dust could get into his nose but he loves to walk on it and dig in it as best he can, but I'm still not comfortable with him having it as his substrate.

They don't look swollen but when he first woke up it looked very watery and I noticed little tiny bubbles in one corner of both eyes. I'm worried about the bubbles and watery eyes but also the strange noises he makes with his mouth closed. I am doing my best to make sure my boyfriend can drive me and Arnold to the vet ASAP because I don't want to wait another minute and have something be wrong.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I use the coco coir bricks from PetSmart. You get 3 for $7.00 here in Dallas area. You add a gallon of boiling water to hydrate and kill any bugs and eggs. I plant in it as well as use it for substrate for 5 Sulcatas, 4 Leopards, 6 baby box turtles and 8 juvenile box turtles as well as my 4 russians when the come out of hibernation too soon. Mine have picked at the sphagnum moss but never actually eaten it. Also, Russians can get watery eyes at times. It doesn't always mean anything and they are tough little guys. I have one that looks like he was attacked over the winter. I think he was dug up and chewed on by a cat. His shell is cracked by his back leg and a few scutes are worn down above his head but he is my most active russian and actually gained weight hibernating.

Oh, and warm soaks are not just for babies! Get him in a warm bath a few times a week. I put a dark colored tub with about 2 inches of water out in the sun and let them soak in the sun. They constantly move around and get great exercise.

RussianTortxo

5 Year Member
Florida
I give him soaks about every other day. I used to do it a few times a week but he's shedding a lot so I want him to be hydrated. I have a big table for him so I'm probably gunna need a lot of the coco coir from petsmart lol thanks for your help. I still am worried about the tiny bubbles in corner of eye and the weird noises he makes with his mouth closed. He's the only tortoise I own, I have two small dogs but their scared of him and go running when they see me holding him

I tried taking a picture of his eyes but my iPhone 5s for some reason can't get the tiny bubbles in the picture, it looks blurry when I try to take a photo.

Is there any product I can buy as a disease preventative or something to help with his eyes incase they are irritated from the substrate? I know if I was a tortoise I wouldn't be comfortable walking and resting on coconut chippings or cypress mulch. Too rough I think so I definitely want something comfortable yet safe but also something he won't try to eat. I will look into the coconut coir I just hope he doesn't try eating it like he did the potting mix used to grow his food.