Russian tortoise separated shutes and thin shell...very scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
hi my name is Kaylee and I have a 3 year old Russian tortoise. I'm not too sure but I think his scutes are separating. the bottom of his shell is very thin..it's not flaky or anything but it is very think. I almost feel like it could break very easily

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/kdogmobile/8ec780c0.jpg
here is a picture of his shell. the separation and thinness is only on the very back of his shell by his tail

his diet is mostly romaine lettuce and I soak him 2-3 times a week

I am very scared and I hope he's okay. Can someone please help me

thank you guys!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Kaylee and welcome! From what I am seeing in the pictures, the pale yellowish areas your talking about are just new growth

. However, you said your only feeding romaine and that is a very poor diet, which you need to do a change on. Here is a pretty good Russian diet sheet to get you going with:
http://www.russiantortoise.org/russiantortoisediet.htm

How about you take the time to tell us more how your caring for this little guy and we will see if any other area is needing working on, okay?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I agree just new growth [hes getting bigger] i agree romaine is not a good diet if that is all your feeding but here you wil find out how to care for your tort perfectly ! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the forum :D I agree with the others on the scutes, also....yup, he really needs you to give him a variety of goodies and the link that was given is a good one.... :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
try a more varied diet, lettuce is low in nutrition,and he could benefit from a more varied diet, you should see the list of what my russians eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.