Russian tortoise seeking a new home - NY/NJ

dominick858

Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
I have some very sad news: Dudley, my Russian, who I've had for the past 3 years, really needs a better home.

We recently moved to a new apartment, and I have much less space here. I have tried a variety of enclosures, but none of them seem big enough for the little guy (who has gotten stronger and more restless than ever before).

He's healthy, eats and poops everyday, walks around a lot, loves to sun/heat himself, and above all, loves to explore. It is with an extremely heavy heart that I am now admitting that I just can't give him the space he really needs, as he gets older and stronger. I believe he's about 4 or 5 years old at this point.

I've spent a lot of time and care providing for Dudley as best I can, and I didn't foresee this, but the best option, to me, seems to be finding a reliable owner who can give Dudley a better life. Preferably someone with a lot of experience who will treat him right.

I am based out of Brooklyn and willing to arrange to send Dudley to anywhere in New York or New Jersey. I'm not too familiar on how adoption works so any advice at all would be appreciated.

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/GQwPK5q

- Dom

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Sounds to me like you two are well bonded...........it doesn't seem fair to you or Dudley to separate you. You're providing the most important thing--a loving home. I'd encourage you to rethink sending the little guy off. All of us with tortoises housed indoors face this dilema. An indoor enclosure is likely never to be enough space. Why not let Dudley roam your apartment (with supervision of course)??

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Sounds to me like you two are well bonded...........it doesn't seem fair to you or Dudley to separate you. You're providing the most important thing--a loving home. I'd encourage you to rethink sending the little guy off. All of us with tortoises housed indoors face this dilema. An indoor enclosure is likely never to be enough space. Why not let Dudley roam your apartment (with supervision of course)??
Not a good idea to let tortoises roam the floor. They could eat something, get stepped on and not mention the heat would not be right. Floors are always colder. This would not be good.

Kingsley7

New Jersey
Is he still up for adoption? I am getting a group of Russians over the summer to start a breeding project with and have been looking for an adult/ young adult male.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Sorry you have to rehome your tort that must be a very difficult decision for you to make. No chance of setting up a multi tier enclosure?
When offering torts to members, it is advisable to make sure anyone interested is a longer term, well known member, experienced with torts, and check them out. There have been occasions when people join TFO just to get free tortoises so that they can sell them on for a profit.
I would ask for some payment to make sure the interest is genuine.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Is Dudley still available? I'm on Long island and looking to adopt/buy a new tortoise for my kids(9/10). Let me know, thanks